01 seems to be slacking

littlegreengiant

My 2001 Tacoma V6 4wd seems to be less powerful than I would think it should be. I only just bought it in Feb. I've had it to the dealer (spare tire carrier recal) and also my usual mechanic (had the belts changed when I bought it). I asked both places to look it over and let me know if anything should be replaced. The truck got a clean bill of health both times. Lately, it seems to have to work to go uphill and it takes a few seconds longer to start up. Maybe I'm being paranoid... It doesn't seem to have the guts I think it ought to. Seems slow to accelerate but it doesn't hesitate to shift when it needs to. Since I've never owned an automatic and thought maybe it was a transmission issue, I had the local tranny shop take her for a test drive. They said it's a-ok. Any thoughts as to why it's slowing down? In addition to replacing the belts, the fuel filter was also just replaced a few days ago. It made a small difference, I think. But still something seems off. Do they just get slower and less powerful as they age? I still love this beast!

Last edited:
Back