06 SR5 4wd check engine light on

LanceSR54WD

its an automatic.162k miles.Carfax was perfect,nothing wrong,everything good when purchased in Feb.lately the trans slips alittle and hard shifts generally in morning.check engine light on.took to trans shop,he said trans is good.he said my truck has a MOISTURE issue maybe in the wiring harness area and said he would not recommend replacing nothing.i assume he got the 2 codes erased.1 was trans shift sensor(which I still think is the issue).the other code was a right front tire sensor,anyway started having the same issue again,got a 2nd opinion.guy drove my truck off and on for 2 wks and it didn't mess up while he was driving it.he did erase the check engine light.this is the 2nd time 2 mechanics cant find the problem.ive had 44 automatic 4x4 trucks and never had an issue---my question is-anybody else have issues with their automatic Tacoma having shift sensor code problems but transmission is good but maybe a moisture issue(I feel like I bought a lemon).Any help would be appreciated.BTW-when truck hard shifts,the CC doesn't work

Last edited:
I really don't know but ill get truck serviced in a month and bought some Lucas transmission fix stop slip for them to use when changing fluids.ill tell them specifically to check the trans fluid.the 1st trans guy said he didn't notice any metal shavings and that my trans was good...when it does hard shift the cruise control doesn't work.....ive heard about rodents eating the soy based wiring harness up and engine light comes on and CC doesn't work but my truck isn't listed in the 2016 lawsuit against Yota which leads me to wonder about that MOISTURE issue centered around the wiring harness area.Thanks for the info.im a new member today

I really don't know but ill get truck serviced in a month and bought some Lucas transmission fix stop slip for them to use when changing fluids.ill tell them specifically to check the trans fluid.the 1st trans guy said he didn't notice any metal shavings and that my trans was good...when it does hard shift the cruise control doesn't work.....ive heard about rodents eating the soy based wiring harness up and engine light comes on and CC doesn't work but my truck isn't listed in the 2016 lawsuit against Yota which leads me to wonder about that MOISTURE issue centered around the wiring harness area.Thanks for the info.im a new member today
Welcome to the forum. I wonder how he knows there is no shavings and the transmission looks good. If he drained the fluid, pulled the pan and looked at the magnets he would know that info otherwise there is no way to know there is no shavings in your transmission. I’d do what @kp.taco suggested and get the trans fluid level checked ASAP.
Post some pictures.

its an automatic.162k miles.Carfax was perfect,nothing wrong,everything good when purchased in Feb.lately the trans slips alittle and hard shifts generally in morning.check engine light on.took to trans shop,he said trans is good.he said my truck has a MOISTURE issue maybe in the wiring harness area and said he would not recommend replacing nothing.i assume he got the 2 codes erased.1 was trans shift sensor(which I still think is the issue).the other code was a right front tire sensor,anyway started having the same issue again,got a 2nd opinion.guy drove my truck off and on for 2 wks and it didn't mess up while he was driving it.he did erase the check engine light.this is the 2nd time 2 mechanics cant find the problem.ive had 44 automatic 4x4 trucks and never had an issue---my question is-anybody else have issues with their automatic Tacoma having shift sensor code problems but transmission is good but maybe a moisture issue(I feel like I bought a lemon).Any help would be appreciated.BTW-when truck hard shifts,the CC doesn't work

Welcome to the forum.
First, I’d check out my wiring to make sure that nothing is corroded and everything has a good connection. Also, check your fluid level like @kp.taco said.
The problems you describe could be from a Shift Solenoid (as you suspect), a Throttle Position Sensor, a Speed Sensor, etc.
Since your truck is probably throwing codes for a Shift Solenoid that’s where I’d start.
Any of these problems aren’t especially expensive to fix if you’re at all mechanically inclined.
I wouldn’t exactly call the truck a lemon considering it’s 12 years old with 162k miles on it. Anything mechanical eventually needs maintenance and repair.

Also, if the trucks throwing a code for shift solenoid/shift sensor I’m surprised a transmission shop wouldn’t diagnose and correct the issue, especially after the second time throwing codes with the same issue.
Like I said earlier, it’s a relatively cheap fix.

Thanks to all.i went to 2 local shops here in middle TN and trying NOT to go to Yota dealership.ill make those checks everyone recommended.i just got the truck in Feb and tried very hard not to call the used dealership that sold it to me and cuss them out but its not under warranty and that's probably what they would say anyway

Mine was the transmission range sensor wiring harness. It was corroded. All good now [emoji4]

Back