16's vs 17's

bass player

Just picked up my 2017 SR5, had a 07 pre-runner until some non-driver pulled out in front of me and now it's totaled out. My 07 had 3" lift on it when I bought it used and of course my new SR5 is stock so I'm having a little trouble getting used to it sitting lower and of the visual. One of the questions I have is does a TRD Sport set up higher (have more clearance) than a SR5 and also would there be any gains going from the stock 16" wheels and tires to 17" wheels and tires and finally what are the biggest sizes in each without a lift. I think Tacoma's are the best truck on the road just don't know a lot about them. Thanks in advance for any help guys.

All the 3rd gens are the same height with the exception of the Pro that’s 1 inch higher.

Wheel size is mostly for looks. The ride will be more harsh with larger wheels.

All the 3rd gens are the same height with the exception of the Pro that’s 1 inch higher.

Wheel size is mostly for looks. The ride will be more harsh with larger wheels.
So no real advantage going to 17" wheels? I noticed today that some of the TRD models come with 16" and some come with 17" wheels.

So no real advantage going to 17" wheels? I noticed today that some of the TRD models come with 16" and some come with 17" wheels.

Sport has 17s to be “sporty” and the offroad has 16s for wheeling because a larger sidewall means more flex and you have more meat when aring down. If you just drive to work then there are no advantages minus the slightly softer ride of the 16s.

Just picked up my 2017 SR5, had a 07 pre-runner until some non-driver pulled out in front of me and now it's totaled out. My 07 had 3" lift on it when I bought it used and of course my new SR5 is stock so I'm having a little trouble getting used to it sitting lower and of the visual. One of the questions I have is does a TRD Sport set up higher (have more clearance) than a SR5 and also would there be any gains going from the stock 16" wheels and tires to 17" wheels and tires and finally what are the biggest sizes in each without a lift. I think Tacoma's are the best truck on the road just don't know a lot about them. Thanks in advance for any help guys.

I’d stay with the 16” wheels.
Stock tires are 265/70/16 on off roads and 265/65/17 on the sport.
Biggest tires at stock height/no lift
16” can fit 265/75/16 tires
17” can fit 265/70/17 tires
18” can fit 265/65/18 tires
19” can fit 265/60/19 tires
See the pattern ^
There is no height difference from a SR5 and a TRD sport or off road. Like whippersnapper02 said the Pro was lifted 1” for the 2016/17 I heard the 2018 is the same height as the sports and off roads now but can’t confirm that. It might still be 1” lifted.

17” could be a cheaper tire in the long run. They are becoming the standard and more mass produced. Compare prices and sometimes you’ll see a cheaper deal. I was on the 16” wagon until i started to research.

Back