185,000 miles

taco John

So my Tacoma has 185,000 miles on it. It's an 08 double cab v6 TRD sport. What are things to look out for so my truck doesn't blow the **** up. Not that it ever has or will, but it doesn't hurt to be too safe :)

Hello taco John,
I can't cover everything, but here are some things that will help you.
1. Check and replace motor oil and filter every 6,000.00 miles if you are running synthetics. Do it every 4,000.00 miles if you are using dinosaur blood.
2. Check and replace transmission fluid every other year
3. Check and replace spark plugs every other year
4. Check and replace both differentials and transfer case lubricant every three to four years
5. Follow the Haynes or Chilten's service recommendations, and you will be fine

Hello taco John,
I can't cover everything, but here are some things that will help you.
1. Check and replace motor oil and filter every 6,000.00 miles if you are running synthetics. Do it every 4,000.00 miles if you are using dinosaur blood.
2. Check and replace transmission fluid every other year
3. Check and replace spark plugs every other year
4. Check and replace both differentials and transfer case lubricant every three to four years
5. Follow the Haynes or Chilten's service recommendations, and you will be fine
Thanks dude!

I'm getting ready to turn over 170k on my 2009 Tacoma. Good advise above!!! Even better if you do all the work yourself... then you know it's done correctly!!!

I'm getting ready to turn over 170k on my 2009 Tacoma. Good advise above!!! Even better if you do all the work yourself... then you know it's done correctly!!!
I do 80% of the fluid changes myself! I won't do the transmission, I'm not gonna mess with it. It's a sealed transmission.

Taco John and BigMau,
Thank you for liking my response about keeping up a Tacoma. I thought of some additional things to help keep them running strong.
1. Change out your Fuel Filter every other year. You guys needs to especially pay attention to this because the fuel is so poor that is sold in the United States.
2. Change out the spark plug wires every other time the spark plugs are changed, which will be an interval of every four years.
3. Change your air filter whenever it gets too dirty to see through it.
4. Change your timing belt when the manual suggests to do it.

These Tacomas will go an awful long time when properly maintained.

Taco John and BigMau,
Thank you for liking my response about keeping up a Tacoma. I thought of some additional things to help keep them running strong.
1. Change out your Fuel Filter every other year. You guys needs to especially pay attention to this because the fuel is so poor that is sold in the United States.
2. Change out the spark plug wires every other time the spark plugs are changed, which will be an interval of every four years.
3. Change your air filter whenever it gets too dirty to see through it.
4. Change your timing belt when the manual suggests to do it.

These Tacomas will go an awful long time when properly maintained.
Can you send me a link to a fuel filter I've been trying to find one online forever haha

It's in the gas tank. Never heard of anyone changing it and I've been on Tacoma sites since 2006
Correct, its a crappy sock filter.
There are kits for fuel pump replacements which also offer a conventional external inline fuel filter for ease of maint. Ya gotta be willing to take off the bed, or drop the gas tank tho.

Hey Tacoma Junkies,
I was referring to the first generations with regard to the fuel filter. I have a first generation, which has an external fuel filter. I don't know anything about where the second generations fuel filter is.

Good Luck.
Paul

Hey Tacoma Junkies,
I was referring to the first generations with regard to the fuel filter. I have a first generation, which has an external fuel filter. I don't know anything about where the second generations fuel filter is.

Good Luck.
Paul
I think the guy who started this thread got the info he needed after all. All he needs to do is go to urdusa.com and get the relocation kit and a pump of his choice, then drop the tank or remove the bed if he eants to go thru the process.

If you're lifted, front wheel bearings. Not sure if the stock experience the same problem or not, but easier to do the wheel bearings and hub assembly together. Grease zerks on the drive line maybe twice a year as well.

If you're lifted, front wheel bearings. Not sure if the stock experience the same problem or not, but easier to do the wheel bearings and hub assembly together. Grease zerks on the drive line maybe twice a year as well.
He is 2wd, so no zerks.
His lift is not installed.

Back