1989 toyota 22re. Thermostat housing Help

89yota

I'm doing a rebuild on my 89 model 22 re. On my way home from work one day the motor just died on me. It started to get hot but not over heating. Had it towed home. Started it up later that evening an Clouds of white smoke come out the tail pipe! An then I pulled the dip stick and it was milky looking. So I just started doing a rebuild in it. I'm hoping its just a head gasket. On the thermostat housing there's a 6mm Hex bolt that was supposed to be there an I was told they break easy but when I got to it, it wasn't even there. Could that have caused the Coolant to get into the oil? This is my first Toyota an I love this truck the best 4 wheel truck I've ever owned! I'm kinda stuck on the timing chain? Is there anyway possible I can remove the head an keep the timing chain in its place or do I have to remove it? I'm new to this Forum an I would appreciate all the advice. Thanks. I also took Lots of pics because this is my first time rebuilding a Toyota. ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1456892258.165893.jpg

I'm doing a rebuild on my 89 model 22 re. On my way home from work one day the motor just died on me. It started to get hot but not over heating. Had it towed home. Started it up later that evening an Clouds of white smoke come out the tail pipe! An then I pulled the dip stick and it was milky looking. So I just started doing a rebuild in it. I'm hoping its just a head gasket. On the thermostat housing there's a 6mm Hex bolt that was supposed to be there an I was told they break easy but when I got to it, it wasn't even there. Could that have caused the Coolant to get into the oil? This is my first Toyota an I love this truck the best 4 wheel truck I've ever owned! I'm kinda stuck on the timing chain? Is there anyway possible I can remove the head an keep the timing chain in its place or do I have to remove it? I'm new to this Forum an I would appreciate all the advice. Thanks. I also took Lots of pics because this is my first time rebuilding a Toyota. View attachment 8197
Wish I could help out bud. But that's beyond my knowledge. Did you get a Haynes manual? I had one for my 97 and it helped a lot. Just a thought.

You should do a compression check before you tear it down.

I agree on the shop manual. I don't know who makes the best ones for toyos, but back when I owned a vehicle I would work on, I would get the factory manual.

Water in the oil shouldn't have made the engine die. Did the motor seize?

Find the source of the water in the oil before you spend any big money because that block could be cracked, the head could be cracked, etc and the motor would be a lost cause.

Consider a crate motor if they are available if you need to rebuild the whole thing unless you enjoy building the motor yourself. Building an engine yourself is certainly a worthwhile pursuit in terms of a hobby, but in terms of economics, when you consider the lost time, the time running to the parts store for that forgotten item etc and having the vehicle out of service for a few weeks it can be a money pit.

If you are going to pull the head, I don't see how you could get around taking the front cover and timing chain etc off, but maybe there is a way.

I would pull each plug and note it's location and condition to see which cylinder(s) are burning water. Then I would do a compression check because that will cost nothing and give you data to confirm any bad cylinders. Then I would pull the head and look for signs of a blown head gasket. At that point, you should have some idea of what you are dealing with and have spent nothing in terms of money. Then I would pull the oil pan and check some bearings to see if they are shot. If you have had water in your oil for an extended time without knowing it, your bottom end could be toast.

You may have to pull the engine to drop the oil pan, every vehicle is different in this regard and a shop manual should tell you what you need to do to drop the pan.

Oh yeah, a missing bolt, anywhere on the top end like your thermostat housing COULD cause water to leak into the oil etc because the bolt MIGHT go through oil galleries etc. It all depends on the path that bolt takes through the engine and I don't know the specifics of that motor.

Back