1998 tacoma v6 4x4 idle problems

Zjohnston115

Hey guys, I'm new to this so bare with me please. I recently purchased a 98 tacoma 4x4 v6 5-speed. I'm having an high idle at around 1700rpm so my research led me to the IAC valve, TPS, and cleaning the throttle good. Well I put a new IAC valve and TPS on yesterday and cleaned the throttle up and still no change. Oh I forgot to mention I've also searched high and low and can't find a vacuum leak. Anyone have any suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the site! It's seems you have covered most of the things that could be wrong, I'm not an expert or anything but ill try to help. You replaced the IAC but did you check the fuses? Sometimes a blown fuse in something can cause the IAC to mess up. If not fuses then it could be some problem with the computer. Ill do some research and see if I find anything else for you

If the 98's had an oxygen sensor in the "incoming air duct", clean it with CRC Electronics cleaner by spraying it on and letting it dry. Do not touch it!.

When is the last time it had new plugs and wires.

Yeah as he said if you do clean the sensor use the electronic cleaner, don't use anything like brake cleaner because that could damage it.

Thanks guys, I'll look closer into your suggestions. As far as plugs and wires I'm not sure. I just recently bought it for a hunting and ride around truck to keep miles off my new truck since work keeps me on the road 90% of the time. My brother in law has it now tinkering with it while I'm out of town and he found a tear in the air intake hose that goes from the air box to throttle. Got a new one on the way so maybe between that and your suggestions we can get her right. Thanks offroadtaco and changeling.

Back