1st gen 3.4 engine swap...

Discussion in '1995 - 2004 Toyota Tacoma' started by BIRDSLAYER, Apr 10, 2018.

1. BIRDSLAYER

BIRDSLAYER Well-Known Member

So I killed my taco last Nov. I got a new/used engine with 136k on it and I gotta get it in. Anybody else ever done this? Are there any secrets/tricks to make this a lil easier? Do I need to remove my hood to get the engine out? Do I need to lower the vehicle? (Lifted 4") if anybody has any advice at all, I'm all ears and open to suggestions. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. 95glh

95glh New Member

I would volunteer you replace everything on the donor engine you need to for maintenance before you drop it in. Just to make your life easier. Barring needing the truck asap (for example as a daily) you could replace timing and cooling components much easier now. I've done that with all the swaps I've done, reduces the headaches of needing to later and asking myself, "why I didn't do that when the engine was out...?"

As long as its a 1:1 swap there shouldn't be any issues, like others will say take your time, take pictures, and label everything. Should be a weekender.

Edit- Sorry, never swapped my 95. Sorry I didnt offer any other useful info you didn't already know :/