1st gen Taco: Brass bushing inside front wheel hub

Dizzixx

I recently bought a used 95' std cab 4x4 2.7L 4cyl with 160k miles, it has been used pretty hard as a farm truck before I picked it up.

Shortly after buying it I replaced both front wheel bearings. They were pretty sloppy (lots of play top and bottom of wheel), were producing a lot of road noise, and the steering was getting a bit squirrelly. While doing this I noted that there was what appeared to be a piece missing on the drivers side. It is a small brass bushing.

Anyone know exactly what this part does? Or if its absence would cause the bearing to walk again?

I ask because initially after the repair it drove great but after just a few weeks things have deteriorated and there is now significant play in the drivers side again. I am planning to do the bearing again but want to make sure I do not have to do it again and again after that. If you can recommend a quality reman'd hub I would be open to that option though I already bout the bearings and seals again.

I have the parts manual but I cannot find that part, I think it may be considered part of the hub.

I have been to the dealer but not had any success locating the part. I have also been junkyard diving. Out of all the Tacos/Prerunners my vintage I was only able to find one 4x4 front hub and when I took it apart the brass part was missing and the bearing came apart in my hand....

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you have one I will buy it off you as I need to take care of this before making the 3.4k mile round trip Christmas journey to visit family

Thanks in advance for your feedback and help.

PS - I am unable to post links yet so I have attached images to better clarify. Img1.pngImg2.JPG Img3.png

Good maybe he or someone else can answer these questions then...

Anyone know where I can get a replacement?

It should have one on both sides then right?

If it is needed for the locking hub why does my hub still lock?

Could it possibly affect play in the wheel (top and bottom of wheel pushing in and out, gripping with both hands)? I didnt think so given the way the bearing is a strong interference fit, retained with a ring, and the hub with another. but given that the symptoms re-appeared on this side of the truck again and the obvious parts difference between sides it seems a natural place to start.

If that is not the problem then what else could be causing this?

I recently bought a used 95' std cab 4x4 2.7L 4cyl with 160k miles, it has been used pretty hard as a farm truck before I picked it up.

Shortly after buying it I replaced both front wheel bearings. They were pretty sloppy (lots of play top and bottom of wheel), were producing a lot of road noise, and the steering was getting a bit squirrelly. While doing this I noted that there was what appeared to be a piece missing on the drivers side. It is a small brass bushing.

Anyone know exactly what this part does? Or if its absence would cause the bearing to walk again?

I ask because initially after the repair it drove great but after just a few weeks things have deteriorated and there is now significant play in the drivers side again. I am planning to do the bearing again but want to make sure I do not have to do it again and again after that. If you can recommend a quality reman'd hub I would be open to that option though I already bout the bearings and seals again.

I have the parts manual but I cannot find that part, I think it may be considered part of the hub.

I have been to the dealer but not had any success locating the part. I have also been junkyard diving. Out of all the Tacos/Prerunners my vintage I was only able to find one 4x4 front hub and when I took it apart the brass part was missing and the bearing came apart in my hand....

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you have one I will buy it off you as I need to take care of this before making the 3.4k mile round trip Christmas journey to visit family

Thanks in advance for your feedback and help.

PS - I am unable to post links yet so I have attached images to better clarify. View attachment 7464View attachment 7465 View attachment 7466
I am having the same problem......finally got everything apart and screwed up the brass bushing. Found bushing at offroad solutions but they are out of them. Does anyone know the part number from Toyota? Also read you would have to buy complete hub to get the bushing from Toyota. Can't seem to find it on any schematic or fiche. Please help!

Yeah it appears that part is included in a new/re-manned hub. I have seen those go for 150-200$, if you can trust the build quality it may be worth it as the bearing runs about 70$. I would have gone this route but I already bought a second replacement bearing and am looking for the part.

Let us know if you find someone that sells them as I believe I have now identified at least 3 or 4 people having this issue.

Off-road Solutions sells the brass inner and outer bushings for $28 each and the inner bearing for $15. They were out of the inner brass bushings and was going to be a couple weeks before they had them back in stock. I ended up machining my own inner bushing and put back together. We will see how long they last.

Back