2001 problems

Soulges22

Hey all I have had my 01 tacoma extends cab 4x4 with 138,000 miles on it and now I'm having some problems with it, my o2 sensors went, and I just found out that the alternator is bad, and I need to buy a new battery. It will probably cost around $700 to fix what's wrong with it, and I know these are not very significant problems but I'm just wondering if u guys have had headaches with older 1st gens and if I would be better of trying to get rid of it because it's going to be a money pit, or if I should just pony up the cash and fix what's wrong with it and keep it. I love the truck but I financially can not keep dumping in $500 to $700 every few months when something goes bad in it. I also am aware that anything with a lot of miles is going to have problems. Any insight or help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Mine did the same the o2 sensor went out it's not a real big deal it won't make of break your motor just the check engine light stays on

Thanks for the reply, I know it sounds like I'm cheap but I'm only 16 and this is my first car so my mom is footing the bill for mostly whatever goes wrong with it and she isn't to happy that it needs work so what I really want to know is that if we get what is wrong with it now will it keep needing little things like this and nickel and dimming us to death to keep it going or if it will relatively sound after.

Changing the alternator is a pretty easy thing to do by your self. You will notice that if you do everything by yourself that it is WAY cheaper. I've always heard 1st gens are really tough. I would keep it if I were you.

Ok thanks I would love to keep and I never considered doing the work myself, I think it would be good to learn how to fix things like this, would YouTube have tutorial videos on how to do these things?

Yeah YouTube has videos for just about everything to do with cars. I feel your pain tho, I'm also 16 and I need a job really bad to keep up with my trucks. And it's great to learn how to do stuff yourself. You save loads of money and I enjoy it.

Yeah YouTube has videos for just about everything to do with cars. I feel your pain tho, I'm also 16 and I need a job really bad to keep up with my trucks. And it's great to learn how to do stuff yourself. You save loads of money and I enjoy it.

Yea the money is definitely the hardest part of having toys lol! I have a dirtbike and I'm constantly working on that and I really enjoy that so it's about time i start wrenching on my truck, thanks for the info!

Depends on the owner!

If you are deeply in love with this model year and plan on keeping it for a long time and may pass it down to other family member, I would keep it...

However; the money pit you spoke of is another issue because you will reach a point where you will never get any money back on the investments to keep it up to the standards for mechanical and the body condition side.

I take exceptional care of my vehicles; however, when they reach their peak which will require substitutable maintenance and cosmetic upgrades to
keep it at the level I expect; I normally sell them ...

Last edited:
These are simple problems that do not make or break getting rid of the vehicle. This is just something you should put the money into right now. I had to replace all of that stuff on my Silverado before it hit 50,000 miles. Put the money into it.

Wrenching yourself is the cheapest way to keep your truck running. Also, when buying parts, spend a little extra for life time warranty parts. That way if it goes out again it's no cost to replace. Just your labor.

If you have to take it in for repair, I did for my front end alignment, I got lifetime done on it. So free alignments every year from now on at Firestone. When I take it in for the 2nd one it will repay itself for the extra cash I spent to have the 1st one done. I think it was an extra $30~50 to get the warranty. Plus I can take it to any Firestone nationwide. By the time I get the 3rd one done it's paying me back.

I got lifetime brakes done on my 1st yoda truck, my Hilux. I had 6 brake jobs done on it, 5 were free parts & labor. Saved a ton of money. Something to think about if your planing on keeping a vehicle any length of time. A lot of parts you can get that lifetime warranty on, starters, alternators, waterpump, brakes, shocks, etc. Cost a little more but if you have to replace it a 2nd time it's free, pays for itself in the long run.

I've got an 01 extended cab 4x4. Right around 150k I had O2 censers and cat replaced. More of a head ack then anything. I'm now at 200k no silly issues since. It's worth the fix. Much bedded the a payment on a loan. Your 1st gen are legendary. If you get into an issue someone probably has been there. Keep the truck and give it lol= lots of love. You will get your money's worth out of it and plenty more.

What these guys are telling you is no BS! I put 3 water pumps in my 1999 Tacoma! The 4th one had a lifetime guarantee and NEVER wore out. The same for an alternator, 1st one went bad, I put in a Life time one from a local auto parts store, never any more problems!

Here's an update, it turns out that at pepboys when I took my truck the volt tester they use to check the alternator was broken so turns out the alternator is fine, now I just have to Replace the 02 sensors, thanks for all the help guys

Back