2003 V6 4x4 - power steering pressure hose leak/replace

MomoFire93

I just bought my 2003 3.4L V6 taco and have been doing general maintenance before driving up from AZ to OR.
19688223_10155506664754771_456790911_o-jpg.1593419

I removed my skid plates to do a coolant flush / change oil, and noticed that one of them was somewhat wet and found the power steering line was leaking, and my power steering reservoir was low.
The leak is on the rubber hose part where the pressure line meets the rack. I finally pulled off that piece today, it only had these simple clamps. Problem here...?

0702-ps-clamp-jpg.1593384

1) Where can I find this size 7/16” / 1cm pressurized hydraulic power steering hose? (Could be metric, I mean it is a Toyota). The writing on the hose says “YOKOHAMA PS L10 BJ 31 1” and “OUTER>CR<INNER>NBR<” I’m checking a hydraulic hose store tomorrow morning when it’s open.

0702-ps-sae-jpg.1593386

0702-ps-metric-jpg.1593385

2) Could it have been leaking because it is a pressurized line and the previous owner replaced it on his own and didn’t use the right kind of clamps, instead of an OEM line with crimped connections where the rubber hose meets the metal line? So I should replace the entire line itself, from the reservoir to the rack?

3) If I do find the hose, is there a way to crimp the connecting parts? It's in a difficult to reach position, it took me at least 30 min to squeeze tools in to get enough leverage to pull the hose off itself.
Do I need to crimp them, or can I use a simple hose clamp and just yard down on it? I am not sure how highly pressurized a power steering system is, which is also…

4) How much pressure is in a 2003 V6 power steering system? PSI.. so if I end up ordering hose online I know what tolerance of pressure it has to be. I don't know much about pressurized hydraulic hoses :(

There might be a shop near you that can duplicate that line, or you might have to bend over at the dealer. I would do the entire line, nice truck btw!

Back