2004 Tacoma EVAP questions / “Canister vent valve” location?

Actionclaw

2004 Toyota Tacoma, Toyota Engine V6 3.4L 5VZ-FE:

Problem, in a nutshell:
Gas fumes
“Check engine” light on
Throwing code P0442 (EVAP System Small Leak Detected)

What I’ve done thus far:
Replaced the fuel cap approximately a year ago (but also just purchased another one to try)
Cleaned up (w steel wool)) & lubricated all around the filler port, lubricated the gasket
I realize a smoke test would probably quickly reveal the problem but possible, I'd like to to solve it logically, first, before resorting to paying for one.

• Most of the hoses attached to the canister seem to be in decent condition, however, some had clamps that have corroded and come off, others show no signs of ever having been clamped. I have not yet but intend to replace all the clamps. Is it possible that an attached but unclamped hose, alone, could be responsible for the”Small Leak Detected”?

• What I see attached to the canister isn't even similar to any info I've found so far. Can anyone direct me to available EVAP system information, complete diagrams, parts locations, or similar?

• On other vehicles, there is a
“canister purge valve” up front in the engine compartment and a
“canister vent valve” somewhere in the rear, near (fender well) or attached to the charcoal canister.
Is this also the case on a 2004 Toyota Tacoma?
If so, where is the “Canister vent valve” located? Could it actually be inside the canister?

Thank you in advance for any help with any of these questions.

Thanks!

2004 Toyota Tacoma, Toyota Engine V6 3.4L 5VZ-FE:

Problem, in a nutshell:
Gas fumes
“Check engine” light on
Throwing code P0442 (EVAP System Small Leak Detected)

What I’ve done thus far:
Replaced the fuel cap approximately a year ago (but also just purchased another one to try)
Cleaned up (w steel wool)) & lubricated all around the filler port, lubricated the gasket
I realize a smoke test would probably quickly reveal the problem but possible, I'd like to to solve it logically, first, before resorting to paying for one.

• Most of the hoses attached to the canister seem to be in decent condition, however, some had clamps that have corroded and come off, others show no signs of ever having been clamped. I have not yet but intend to replace all the clamps. Is it possible that an attached but unclamped hose, alone, could be responsible for the”Small Leak Detected”?

• What I see attached to the canister isn't even similar to any info I've found so far. Can anyone direct me to available EVAP system information, complete diagrams, parts locations, or similar?

• On other vehicles, there is a
“canister purge valve” up front in the engine compartment and a
“canister vent valve” somewhere in the rear, near (fender well) or attached to the charcoal canister.
Is this also the case on a 2004 Toyota Tacoma?
If so, where is the “Canister vent valve” located? Could it actually be inside the canister?

Thank you in advance for any help with any of these questions.

Thanks!
Okay i had the exact same problem in my 2002 Tacoma Double Cab 3.4 Automatic TWD.... I checked everything else...smoke test did it. Its most likely the same thing..the Rollover Valve on the top of your fuel tank is cracked (fuel smell) there are different ways to replace it i Removed the truck bed to replace it. You may want to do it a different way if that's the case..so do the rest of your trouble shooting but keep in mind...Rollover Valve. Hope this helps and all goes well. Please post and let me know what you find.

Back