2005 rusty frames

I got a good laugh out of this. May be rugged till it rust away. As it is today I'll be starting in on sanding down what little rust my frame has and doing preventive maintenance on it to keep it from rusting away like my last Taco. When done sanding, priming, painting I'll spray it with my used motor oil for good measure before they start throwing salt down due to winter.

RIGID WHERE IT COUNTS
A truck’s reputation rides on its frame. Tacoma is built on a
rugged frame strengthened with 8-in. cross members, stout
center side rails and rear inner-channel reinforcements.

As per the 2014 ebrochure on page 4
http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/ebrochure/

I got a good laugh out of this. May be rugged till it rust away. As it is today I'll be starting in on sanding down what little rust my frame has and doing preventive maintenance on it to keep it from rusting away like my last Taco. When done sanding, priming, painting I'll spray it with my used motor oil for good measure before they start throwing salt down due to winter.

RIGID WHERE IT COUNTS
A truck’s reputation rides on its frame. Tacoma is built on a
rugged frame strengthened with 8-in. cross members, stout
center side rails and rear inner-channel reinforcements.

As per the 2014 ebrochure on page 4
http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/ebrochure/

I'm doing the same, no matter how bad the frame is from the factory, if you take care of it, it will take care if you

So is this rusty frame thing still a problem for 13' and 14'? This could be a deal breaker because Michigan dumps a sh*T load of salt on our roads during the winter months.

I think so, but as long as you spray your frame enough it won't rust. In frame will rust where they put alot of salt on the roads

Does anyone know what steps to take about getting my frame replaced by Toyota

Hebert, you have to take it in to Toyota and have them do a frame check on it that will start the ball rolling. However, being a 2nd gen yoda they have not offered the buyback or frame replacement as they did with the '95~'00 buyback, '01~'04 frame replacement.
If your lucky and they don't say it's not safe to drive you have a long rode ahead. From another forum:

Pugga said:
"So far I have only seen the one thread that an 05 got frame replaced but he had to fight a long time to get it."

So is this rusty frame thing still a problem for 13' and 14'? This could be a deal breaker because Michigan dumps a sh*T load of salt on our roads during the winter months.

Bodacious, if you buy it new from a dealer make sure you have it undercoated and then check it yearly for any rust. About the best you can do in the salt belt. My '06 has minimal which I'm taking care of now. I expect to keep my truck for sometime. My '00 PreRunner lasted 12 yrs before the drivers side rear leaf broke off the frame and that was without any attention to the frame for making sure it was rust free. I got a letter from Toyota extending the frame warranty in '09, threw it in the glove box and forgot about it. Dec '12 I took it in, they said it was unsafe to drive and they bought it back at bluebook + 1/2 rated in excellent condition. I was lucky made a nice profit.

Hebert, you have to take it in to Toyota and have them do a frame check on it that will start the ball rolling. However, being a 2nd gen yoda they have not offered the buyback or frame replacement as they did with the '95~'00 buyback, '01~'04 frame replacement.
If your lucky and they don't say it's not safe to drive you have a long rode ahead. From another forum:

Bodacious, if you buy it new from a dealer make sure you have it undercoated and then check it yearly for any rust. About the best you can do in the salt belt. My '06 has minimal which I'm taking care of now. I expect to keep my truck for sometime. My '00 PreRunner lasted 12 yrs before the drivers side rear leaf broke off the frame and that was without any attention to the frame for making sure it was rust free. I got a letter from Toyota extending the frame warranty in '09, threw it in the glove box and forgot about it. Dec '12 I took it in, they said it was unsafe to drive and they bought it back at bluebook + 1/2 rated in excellent condition. I was lucky made a nice profit.

Byrd, are you still planing on using the oil treatment as your only defence?

I haven't been able to find much of anything, except for those that claim EVERYTHING, on there word without any proof

I haven't been able to find much of anything, except for those that claim EVERYTHING, on there word without any proof

Aside from what happened in the other thread, spraying oil on your frame is mostly the best way to PREVENT rust in the first place. Just ask any guys that live up north and take care of their trucks. They spray their frames as much as we wash our trucks.

Not my only protection but what I'll use last before winter hits. Using a spray bottle I'll spray my frame down with a light coat of used 10W-40 motor oil. Dino not synthetic.

Proof there are lots of experiments & articles proving oil will prevent rust. You just have to dig. The oil will not stay there forever as the weather will wash it off.
Think about it if you don't oil your guns what happens? They rust.

Tons of links, here are just a few.....

http://www.quakerstate.com/#/used-oil-testing/rust-protection-test
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2874796&page=1
http://www.exxonmobil.com/lubes/exxonmobil/emal/files/RustPrevention_TTopic.pdf
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_oiling_help_prevent_rust
http://www.ask.com/question/why-does-oil-prevent-rust
http://www.scchemical.com/solutions_rust2.html

I spend a lot of time and energy trying to keep my vehicles looking "as new". But I'd have a hard time getting myself to crawl under my truck, sanding, painting, and oiling the frame every couple of weeks just so that the frame doesn't fall apart in 5-6 years.

I would hope that these trucks aren't a throw away item in 8-10 years unless your willing to go the full-mile on frame rust control.

I spend a lot of time and energy trying to keep my vehicles looking "as new". But I'd have a hard time getting myself to crawl under my truck, sanding, painting, and oiling the frame every couple of weeks just so that the frame doesn't fall apart in 5-6 years.

I would hope that these trucks aren't a throw away item in 8-10 years unless your willing to go the full-mile on frame rust control.

Who said anything about doing all that every few weeks?

My truck is pushing 8 yrs now. As far as I can tell, nothing has ever been done to the frame since it rolled off the factory. I bought it in Jan this yr. What I've done was sand down what little surface rust there was on my frame, painted it with a rust encapsulator, primed and painted it. The oil I'll spray on as we get closer to winter and then check it next summer. I doubt there will be much rust next summer, but if there is any I'll sand it down and paint. Do the oil again just before winter. No big deal. Only takes about 20-30 mins to spray the entire frame with oil once a year as a preventive. I usually check under it every few months anyway since you can't very well change your engine, transmission, transfer case, front & rear diff oils without crawling under it. Or lube your u-joints.
I won't pay someone for work I can do myself.

Thanks again Byrd for your input. I had never heard about the frames having rust problems before reading this thread. I hope that you can understand my concern, as this would be my first Tacoma purchase.
I'm sure the precautionary measures pay off in the long run. Sorry for my ignorance. Just trying to collect all the info I can B4 I buy.

Thanks again Byrd for your input. I had never heard about the frames having rust problems before reading this thread. I hope that you can understand my concern, as this would be my first Tacoma purchase.
I'm sure the precautionary measures pay off in the long run. Sorry for my ignorance. Just trying to collect all the info I can B4 I buy.

No problem Bodacious, I also understand your position, I had a '00 PreRunner that I did lose to a rusty frame. As long as your aware of the issue you can take steps to prevent it. These trucks are great trucks. As with any manmade object they do have their issues. Your well ahead of the pack if you know what to expect. With newer vehicles the steel they use on frames are of thinner gauge to lighten the overall weight. It also can cause failure due to rust to happen more quickly. My '70 Chevelle frame is 3 times thicker than the frame under my '06 Taco.
The curb weight of my Taco is 3950 lb, the curb weight of my Chevelle is 3850 lbs. My taco is a lot more bigger than my Chevelle.

Think about it if you don't oil your guns what happens? They rust.

Not my Glocks. Sorry, I just had to say that. But you are correct about that. I once had a Series 80 Colt Government Model 1911A1, that was made of stainless steel and all I had to do was to carry it in a holster while deer hunting (during heavy fog) and by the time I got home, light rust was already present. An old machinist once told me that stainless-steel means exactly what it says, stain-less, not stain-proof.

Last edited:
You know, reading about these frame rust issues makes me glad I live in central Texas. I'll keep an eye on my frame, but mild winters and salt less roads should go a long way towards keeping my truck in good shape.

We've been in College Station for 17 years. We've had a few years when it never got below freezing.

Back