2009 V6 ticking accelarating or reving

Hello my new Tacoma forum bro's.
I came here because it seems my tacoma world guys won't answer my question and I NEED HELP!

My 2009 tacoma V6 has all the sudden in the past couple weeks a very loud, almost like a diesel ticking noise. I saw that IF you put rubber washers on the bolt of the VSV( they said 4, but only 2 fit) that it will stop because it's the VSV somehow rattling? It kinda worked, but I think I'm gonna unscrew it, not take it apart, and start it with it unscrewed. After it warms up and I restart it I hear a slight tick on the start, AND if I rev it or I'm driving it and accelerate.

There is a very loud whine when I first start it(did it in the summer to). My ps rack doesn't make any noise if your gonna ask that.

I changed about 4 months ago my coil packs(RIPP SUPERCHARGE COIL PACKS AND PLASMA PLUGS).

There is not check engine light on and I just changed my manifold cats and upper O2 sensors.

I forgot the other day when my friend was helping me diagnosis it, we let it get warm and the ticking happened @ warmed up idle, but not today after I put those rubber washers on the bolt of the VSV.

Just trying to tell you all everything. All suggestions welcomed.

Also, I and my friend, who did this first, felt the valve covers and we felt no vibrations, meaning valve lash.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
FWIW, feeling the valve covers will not detect valve lash. The only way to check valve clearance is following the detailed procedure in the Factory Service Manual.

What oil are you using?
When was the last change?

Have you checked for exhaust leak? Any wire arcing to ground?

Sounds like you describe are very difficult to isolate. Keep eliminating.

FWIW, the rubber washer "fix" is not a fix. Its a bandaid.

Back