2011 Taco prerunner led switchback conversion

8Tacoman8

I posted this under the general forum, I probably should have posted it here (I'm a new member), so here goes:
Has anyone installed led swichback lights on a 2011 Taco prerunner off-road with DRLs? I am researching this and have come up with a potential problem.
One thing is that the stock DRL/turn signal bulb is a 4157 dual element with 2 wires on its socket. When you install LEDs to replace incandescents you will get hyper flashing (rapid flashing) due to the lack of load with the LEDs. To correct this you have 2 options: 1.) Install 6 ohm load resistors on the wires to the light. Here is one of the problems: the 4157 socket has 2 wires not 3 like most 4157 or 3157 have. Normally you would attach the load resistor between the trurn signal wire and the ground wire on the socket. Since there are only 2 wires of the spcket (one for the DRL and the other for the turn signal) how is the resistor grounded? Do you attach one end of the resistor to the turn signal wire and the other end to the chassis ground or do you attach the resistor between the 2 wires on the socket?
The 2nd option: Change the flasher relay to an LED type. Ihave tried to find an LED flasher for the Taco with DRLs and have come up empty. Has anyone come up with ab LED trype flasher for this application?

Thanks!

Back