2011 Toyota Tundra Grade 4WD

Monty Simmons

Considering purchasing this truck
2011 Toyota Tundra Grade 4WD 6-Speed Automatic Electronic i-Force 5.7L V8 DOHC 4WD

Asking Price: $20,000
Milage: 100,000

Need advice:

(1) What to look for beyond normal issues.

(2) Cost of ownership for this age Tundra (any maintenance coming due)

(3) Towing capacity

(4) Dependability

any information one might consider even remotely useful

2011 Toyota Tundra Grade 4WD 6-Speed Automatic Electronic i-Force 5.7L V8 DOHC 4WD

Need advice:

(3) Towing capacity

(4) Dependability

Best advice:
Id converse with a tundra forum like tundras.com

Need advice:

(3) Towing capacity

(4) Dependability

@Bojangles is right this is a Tacoma forum and you’re talking about a Tundra.
$20k isn’t a bad price. I sold my 2007 Crew max limited with 130k miles on it for $22k last year before I bought my Tacoma.
They are 100k mile trucks meaning their major services are done at 100k miles. If the services haven’t been done you’re probably going to want to dump about $1500+ into it if you can’t do the work yourself. All fluids need flushed/drained and replaced. Radiator, Transfer case, diffs, engine, spark plugs need to be done. Just the fluid and the plugs alone will cost $400 if you buy it and do it yourself. Use synthetic. Other than that they are great trucks and will last 300k if taken care of.
I’d go into Toyota’s web site and look up the vin see what has been done and what hasn’t.
https://www.toyota.com/owners/vehicle-specification

You should get a Tacoma. :D

Perhaps I should get a Tacoma - which is a good reason to ask questions here. I need to pull a 26 foot enclosed trailer with a tractor inside. Might want to pull a 5th Wheel one day.
Good information about the maintenance. I was going to check on that but nice to have the feedback.

I might change all fluids except the transmission. I have been told many times to never touch a transmission if it is working properly. I did not listen. Purchased a used Ford F150 a few years ago. Was working and running great. Had all the plugs changed and fluids and transmission oil flushed. two weeks later the transmission started to fail. Coincidence, perhaps. but not doing that again.

Thanks for the feedback.

Perhaps I should get a Tacoma - which is a good reason to ask questions here. I need to pull a 26 foot enclosed trailer with a tractor inside. Might want to pull a 5th Wheel one day.
Good information about the maintenance. I was going to check on that but nice to have the feedback.

I might change all fluids except the transmission. I have been told many times to never touch a transmission if it is working properly. I did not listen. Purchased a used Ford F150 a few years ago. Was working and running great. Had all the plugs changed and fluids and transmission oil flushed. two weeks later the transmission started to fail. Coincidence, perhaps. but not doing that again.

Thanks for the feedback.
I didn’t say transmission for that reason. Get a Tundra if you need to pull and haul these Tacoma’s don’t like to.

First gen tundras are my favorite ones.. I almost bought a really nice one instead of my taco. It was 10k with 120k miles 4.7 v8 4x4 I think it was a 2006

I never did like the 2007 and up. Although they are good trucks I hated the interior.. I don't know when they changed the headlights, taillights and interior but I like the newer ones.
My 07’ limited was really nice. I liked the leather interior and all the options. Power everything, memory drivers seat, nav etc. way more options than my 2017 Tacoma has 10 years older.

My 07’ limited was really nice. I liked the leather interior and all the options. Power everything, memory drivers seat, nav etc. way more options than my 2017 Tacoma has 10 years older.
Tacoma is more capable though if u like trails and off roading. Plus better fuel mileage. But yeah tundras are definitely nice trucks.

Tacoma is more capable though if u like trails and off roading. Plus better fuel mileage. But yeah tundras are definitely nice trucks.
Until you lift the taco and put big tires on it. My Tundra got 13mpg in town, towing, on hwy didn’t matter what I was doing I seemed to always get 13mpg. I had 3” lift and 34” tires on it.
My Tacoma gets 13 mpg too. It is much more capable off road.

Until you lift the taco and put big tires on it. My Tundra got 13mpg in town, towing, on hwy didn’t matter what I was doing I seemed to always get 13mpg. I had 3” lift and 34” tires on it.
My Tacoma gets 13 mpg too. It is much more capable off road.
That's about the same mileage I was getting with 10ply 285s

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah.... pulling that kind of load you’ll definitely need a full size.

Back