2012 electric pressure module

Bob W

Happy New Year. I am new to the Tacoma ownership. I purchased a very clean 2012 off road several weeks back, 68,000 miles. After a few weeks I noticed the brakes seemed like manual. The dealer replaced the electric module under warranty. $2700.00 job. The brakes still feel like crap. When you first start applying pressure, you can feel in the pedal what seems to be the ABS system, then they start to suddenly grab. Very hard to come to a smooth stop. I determined the feeling I get from the pedal is the electric system activating instead of a typical vacuum system. I heard this may be normal for these trucks due to the electric pressure module vs a vacuum system. Anyone else experience this?

Happy New Year. I am new to the Tacoma ownership. I purchased a very clean 2012 off road several weeks back, 68,000 miles. After a few weeks I noticed the brakes seemed like manual. The dealer replaced the electric module under warranty. $2700.00 job. The brakes still feel like crap. When you first start applying pressure, you can feel in the pedal what seems to be the ABS system, then they start to suddenly grab. Very hard to come to a smooth stop. I determined the feeling I get from the pedal is the electric system activating instead of a typical vacuum system. I heard this may be normal for these trucks due to the electric pressure module vs a vacuum system. Anyone else experience this?

Welcome to the forum.
I’ve had similar experiences in the second and third gen both but it was only on slick roads, gravel, or mud when the ABS is engaged.
From what it sounds like you are explaining it doesn’t sound normal.

Back