2013 4.0 engine rattle @ 1300 to 1500 rpm, anybody know what causes it and how

Rattle is worse after an oil change, just before it needs changing (5000) miles it stops completely. Dealer said that a lot of them make that sound and its nothing to worry about. I've got 2 of these trucks and only one of them makes this rattle. Sounds like a valve train noise to me on the drivers side, can hear it even when idling but worse at 1300 to 1500 then stops anymore than that. Tried heavier oil (10-30W) same sound. If anybody else has had this problem and found the answer I would like to know what they did to stop it. Or if the deal is correct, ( I doubt everything they say)

Noisy I agree, I have an 84 and 85 model with 22r, and just sold a 89 with 3.0 , but this you can hear over radio turned to 10 or so. Just was hoping someone else had heard of this before. Thanks

Try High Octane gas,chevron,shell,sunoco,B.P. 93 octane, and lucas synthethic oil additive or STP Oil additive and stick with the 5w-30 oil synthetics if possible and much better!!! try it ,worked for me,no sounds at all any more!add oil treatment every 5,000-10,000 miles!

My rattle sounds like a valve adjustment problem not poor fuel pinging, I am an ex-Shell Oil employee and only purchase branded fuel. Today I received a re-call notice from Toyota, maybe they know they have a problem now. Will update after the dealer visit, hoping that's what this is about. Thanks for the help

I have found no solid answers on this issue, Toyota said its a timing problem in the ECU which there is no fix, I have found if you just drive around in the city in 4th it goes away. I only use D on the highway anymore. Wish Toyota would admit they have a problem and fix it, the recall I got was on a brake issue not engine rattle. I have also tried different oils and weights with no help

Since day one, mile one I've used red line synthetic 5w30 and it's probably a waste of money but only put shell oil 91-93 octane gasoline into my tank..I've always heard the light valve clicking sound but nothing like you are describing...make a youtube video of the sound I'd be interested in hearing it

What's funny about my rattle is after 3000 miles on oil change it goes away until the next oil change, I also have tried a different oil every time and nothing seems to make a difference unless you drive in 4th until it gets miles on it. I do run factory OEM oil filters. I will try and remember to do a you tube video of it after my next oil change. I have a new 2015 TRD 4x4 on order now so I am not sure it will get another oil change while I own it.

Back