2013 Tacoma V6 oil question

Joe Bink

I just bought a 2013 Tacoma TRD, and see the V6 is one of the few 2013 engines that still use conventional oil. I have always used synthetic oil on my vehicles, and wonder if anyone knows of a reason not to switch to synthetic on a V6? I asked a number of people at the dealer, and got a number of different answers. Why would Toyota not use synthetic in the first place?

Run what you want man. Toyota doesn't run it from the factory because of the cost. Also they don't get a fat check from Mobil One like BMW does.

I could be wrong but I think under Toyota care they will only change it for free ever 10000 miles. You may be better off to change it yourself. Who knows what they put in the truck anyways.

That is sort of my thinking too. I just wanted to make sure there was not a mechanical reason not to use synthetic in the V6. I can't think of one, but with my luck i will put it in and the engine will explode. It just turned 300 miles, so I think it is ready!

I would go until 5000 miles. There is no need to change it early. The engine is broken in at the factory when they give it a test run. The oil is drained and new oil is put in before it goes into the truck.

The only engine type that I know that doesn't like synthetic is the rotary engine. It burns it to lubricate the internal seals so a synthetic can leave residue in the exhaust ports.

Last edited:
Like whip said drive it to 5000. I am a fan of the Toyota filter. Any oil will work just make sure you use the correct weight. It will not blow up. Promise.

I'll be doing my oil changes every 3 to 4k miles.. I just bought the wife a new Lincoln MKX AWD last December and Lincoln has the 4 year, 50k service. Only issue is, they say I can go 7500 on the oil. Not me. Same thing with my Corvette. Chevrolet says my Mobil 1 will go 10,000 but it only gets driven 2,000 a year. I change it yearly, usually at the end of Summer when it gets tucked away under it's blanket in the garage to sleep through the winter.

The engine oil runs cooler so it lasts longer. With synthetic in my 05, I ran it to just under 7,000 miles and it was still gold colored.

New question. I'll admit to being a tad on the anal side when it comes to my cars so forgive me. I went into a lube and oil change place today which carries Redline oil and gear oil. After waiting for nearly an hour to get the front diff, rear diff, 6 speed tranny, and transfer case drained and refilled with Redline gear oil, the oil change fellow told me not to bother, that they already come with synthetic gear oil from the factory. I have NEVER heard that before, and seriously doubt it's accuracy, but is it true? Between the incorrect information I have received from the Toyota Salesman, Finance manager, parts dept, and even the service department I am about to lose all faith in the automotive field. Does Toyota use synthetic gear oil in the factory???

Hey joe bink. I put synthetic in my Tundra. You'll be just fine. But don't spend the extra money unless you plan to keep it

I ran Mobil 1 in my drag car until I seized the crank and rod bearings. I switched to synthetic blend 15 years ago and still going strong. I use synthetic blend in all my vehicles now.

I run Mobil 1 or Amsoil Synthetics only and K&N Filters,air and oil too!I have a 2013 Tacoma Pre Runner 4 dr cab V6 Auto.Nautical Blue, Chrome Bed Rack!I wax my baby evry other month,wash twice a week ,at least once a week!

I use ONLY Synthetic!!!Mobil 1,or I realy prefer my Amsoil Signature Series 5w-30 for engine,TRD or K&N Filters,OIL and Air!!!I also use all synthetics like Amsoil for the Transmission,powersteering,DOT3 Synthetic Brake Fluid,Rear Diff and frt diff and transfer case if 4by4,add rear diff additive to prevent chatter,coolant boost to radiator coolant,Protect with all SYNTHETICS ONLY,no mater if you live north or south,east or west,or central too!!!I prefer Amsoil products the BEST,and Mobil 1 2nd if you cant afford or get Amsoil,Both are the BEST and Greatest products out there!!! Rambo,Eustis,FL.

2012 TRD SPORT FROM DAY 1 valvoline synpower !
Wow, old thread.
Do you have the true LSD, or the brake actuated one?
I forgot what year they changed em, but ive seen many posts on other forums about the true LSD sports not liking full synthetic in rear diff

I like Synthetic oils & use them But for me the advantage is winter cold
cause thats what Synthetic oils do best Flow in the cold
In warm weather conventional oil works well & todays conventional oils are fantastic any way
Certainly if your auto uses the motor on off at stop light system or you have a hybrid that the motor is on and off a lot
a Synthetic oil flows faster it's clear to me a Synthetic oil could be essential in some current autos

Back