2013 transmission fluid

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by filamb, Oct 7, 2017.

1. filamb

filamb Member

I have 50k miles on my 2013. Just changed the oil myself. Pulled out of the driveway only to have my tranny slip in first gear. I can’t figure out how to check the fluid. Anyone know? Here I am sitting on the side of the road. Thanks

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

4. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

whippersnapper02 likes this.
  5. whippersnapper02

o_O

6. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Don’t drain the transmission and add oil to the engine. You’ll be slipping gears and blowing seals.

whippersnapper02, 4wd and Bogunn like this.
  7. whippersnapper02

I still don’t get how anyone did this. It’s not a Previa so why would you think the pan is so far back?

kp.taco and OR17TRD like this.
  8. OR17TRD

Derp

whippersnapper02 likes this.
  9. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

1st gear meaning manual?

10. OP
    filamb

filamb Member

It’s automatic. I had some “help” while changing my oil. I screwed up and drained 3.5 qts of tranny fluid instead. Dope!
    There was some good info posted to my original question. Thanks

11. OR17TRD

12. OR17TRD

Did you get it all filled and running ok?

13. OP
    filamb

filamb Member

Yes. No problems. But I had to go buy some tools. It was a somewhat expensive error. I’ve been taking care of maintenance on my cars for almost 40 yrs. That was a first.

14. OP
    filamb

filamb Member

Ha. That’s what I did. Couldn’t figure out why I had so much oil in there. Thankfully I only drove 1 mile when I realized what I had done.

15. OR17TRD

The kind of thing you’ll only do once... hopefully.

Bogunn likes this.
  16. OP
    filamb

filamb Member

Hopefully! My wife had invited friends over and I was a little distracted and in a hurry. And that darn tranny pan sticks out just begging to be drained. I drive a lot of miles. So it saves me a lot of time and money to do my own maintenance. 412k miles out of a 4Runner. Just got in a hurry. No excuses. Doesn’t appear to have done any harm. I’ve driven a few hundred miles on it since then. Pulling a trailer.

TKFx and Bogunn like this.