2014 Tacoma engine noises when cold

Hi there,my tacoma 2014 has 1500 miles,in the morning makes noise when i start the engine,takes 4 min doing that noise,after that the noise stops or when i turn off the engine and start it again stops the noise also. Is this normal or what could be that noise

Thank you

If you only have 1500 miles on it and it's a 2014 you should just take it in, because you should have a warranty. Don't try to do any work yourself as it would more then likely void the warranty.

switch to a 100% full synthetic oil,AMSOIL,Mobil1,Penzoil, Royal Purple,etc! Problem is gone!

I would not use amsoil would stick with Mobile one. Zinc will destroy the cams seeing as they are hardened. Amsoil do recommended for older engines that we regular gasoline engines and when unleaded was first introduced those were the cars and trucks amsoil was targeting. Do a little research as 98%. Of oils have eliminated Zinc as an additive. I would really stick with mobile one. . I also believe royal purple is zinc free. The reason it has been excluded was the older cars that started using unleaded gas had the cams running flat Hence the CASH FOR CLUNKERS came into play. Epa constantly changing formula. Also read new oil that has magnatec contains a small amount of zinc but I still would not use it.
Just my 2 pennies worth.

2016 Tacoma Trd Off-road. (Silver Bullet)
2015 Tacoma Sr5. (Polar Bear)

Until the lifters are lubricated you can hear them. If it takes awhile for the lifter noise to go away, might not be getting enough oil to them.
Make sure you use the correct weight oil. But it won't hurt to take it to the dealer, let it sit for 30-60 minutes and start it so they can hear
it. My wife has a brand new Lexus RX350 and it makes lifter noise on start-up which the dealer says is normal.

All off the 4.0 motors make that exact rod knock piston slap noise I ended taking my 2015 Tacoma complained and had the oil pump replaced after the replacement I have never had an issue with a knocking noise. I can almost bet it's the oil pump on all those trucks. I also noticed the oil pump looked totally different than the one they put in it this last time. I would peruse ha wing the engine oil pump replaced. I believe Toyota knows about the 4.0 noise issue but would cost millions to fecal them. I was advised by my service adviser that the old pumps have an issue of bleed back and when you start your truck cold the engine is totally dry on top of motor and takes anywhere between 5-12 minutes for oiled to thin out to lube the engine completely and that's why everyone of the 4.0 engines has an issue. He did also advise me that most trucks built after sept 2014has the old style pump in them but newer models have the new pump on them and none of them make the clanging rod knock noise... I HOPE THIS HELPS..

2016 Tacoma Trd Off-road. (Silver Bullet)
2015 Tacoma Sr5. (Polar Bear)

Hey guys,
I just got a 2013 Tacoma and I have been noticing what I think is the noise you all are referring to. I only notice it when the truck is put into drive when cold. Just want to make sure it is the same thing before I try to remedy this or take it in.

Hi there,my tacoma 2014 has 1500 miles,in the morning makes noise when i start the engine,takes 4 min doing that noise,after that the noise stops or when i turn off the engine and start it again stops the noise also. Is this normal or what could be that noise

Thank you
I realize this is an older thread but i have similar problems..
I have a 2014 and makes almost what sounds like a bearing noise. The truck only has 22000 on it and has had this noise since new. I'm told it's normal! But I must say it's irritating.
I've searched and seems there are a lot of Tacoma's with the same problems. It is semi intermittent when warm. I will be at a drive through where you can really hear it and it will sound off then slowly go away for a few seconds then start up again. Also, the knocking will speed up as you slowly give it throttle and rpm's. I still am under warranty with the drive-train, but no one seems to want to figure it out. I am planning (one more time) to take it to a different dealership. If I find anything out, I'll let you know.

I realize this is an older thread but i have similar problems..
I have a 2014 and makes almost what sounds like a bearing noise. The truck only has 22000 on it and has had this noise since new. I'm told it's normal! But I must say it's irritating.
I've searched and seems there are a lot of Tacoma's with the same problems. It is semi intermittent when warm. I will be at a drive through where you can really hear it and it will sound off then slowly go away for a few seconds then start up again. Also, the knocking will speed up as you slowly give it throttle and rpm's. I still am under warranty with the drive-train, but no one seems to want to figure it out. I am planning (one more time) to take it to a different dealership. If I find anything out, I'll let you know.
Thanks. Welcome to the forum.

Back