2015 V6 performance

ed martin

I have had my Tacoma now for nearly 18 months and I have to admit that there are times the engine performance is sluggish....no balls, I am not a gearhead, so I m looking for ideas that will make this truck operate as it should, but not take a skilled mechanic to fix....any thoughst?

Well I give you a few thoughts. I always do two things when I buy a new truck. Air intake and larger diameter exhaust. It can be as simple as a drop it cleanable air filter. Or complete intake which is what I do. I also just tried this week using 91 or 93 octane gas whichever is in your area. I use 87 usually. Truck had noticeably better acceleration, especially from a stop. This was in the new 3.5 in my 16. ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1468070871.416403.jpg
This is in my 07, not much for my 16 yet. Just put a drop in K&N in it. People will say on here any oil filters will mess with the Mass Air Flow Sensor. That's bullshit. Had a K&N on my 2010 FJ, drove 188,000 no problems. Whatever you do enjoy!

I have had my Tacoma now for nearly 18 months and I have to admit that there are times the engine performance is sluggish....no balls, I am not a gearhead, so I m looking for ideas that will make this truck operate as it should, but not take a skilled mechanic to fix....any thoughst?

And if you put 18" wheels & oversize off road tires on it ........ no guts at all.

Here's my 07 built in 2015 to look like this. No regear about 1100 lbs heavier that it rolled down the assembly line. Could use another 100 hp. Ha

Intake is simple.... very minimal gains if any. Ypipe has been dynoed. Headers are dynoed. Exhaust may be beneficial too. Just dont do long tube headers, ypipe, and a 3" exhaust unless force fed. It can lead to a honda civic like tq curve.

Those are all bolt on and simple.

Thats bout it for simple install i guess. Maf calibrator is not really hard if u can solder tho.

These trucks have also been dynoed with the stock filter....the stock filter with charcoal screen removed, then with the air filter also removed, and zero gains. The bottleneck is not the filter.

Does the supercharger mess with fuel economy or reliability? I don't want to add anything that makes more work for me.

Does the supercharger mess with fuel economy or reliability? I don't want to add anything that makes more work for me.
No.
The blower has a bypass valve and when not making boost, it uses 1/3 of a hp.
I get 20mpg highway..... that test was with me and father in law going to fresno. Large long grades, crosswinds, luggage, 2 large ppl, a full toolbox, 2" lift, 265/75/16, sliders, avid offroad lightbar, averaging 75, passing vehicles, and smoking a 370z and toying with a civic along the way.

Its been a few yrs and reliability...... ive never been stranded, and havent replaced anything major.

Wow, that is what I get stock for highway. I watched a few vids of people saying the superchargers were killing cat converters and stuff. Are there any known issues like that?

Negative. This is an OEM designed system so there are no issues like that. It also means they are choked up a bit.

Wow, that is what I get stock for highway. I watched a few vids of people saying the superchargers were killing cat converters and stuff. Are there any known issues like that?
I killed my cats but cant blame the blower completely... i have almost 100k on it, and my buddy has an 06 with like miles and just **** his cats, and he is stock.

And yes..... thats about what i got stock too.
Anyone saying the blower killed mileage either has other problems, or has their right foot to blame. Eatons charts showed 1/3 hp use when not making boost.

My experience with the TRD SC is that if you have a light foot the MPG is about the same as without. Start having fun with it and the MPG city goes to 13 or 14. The extra 70 horse power makes a big difference when accelerating. Going uphill? Not a problem. Need to pass? Not a problem. I purchased the extended warranty and had Toyota install so my extended warranty covers the SC. Nice.

My experience with the TRD SC is that if you have a light foot the MPG is about the same as without. Start having fun with it and the MPG city goes to 13 or 14. The extra 70 horse power makes a big difference when accelerating. Going uphill? Not a problem. Need to pass? Not a problem. I purchased the extended warranty and had Toyota install so my extended warranty covers the SC. Nice.

Now just clear up ur exhaust bottleneck, throw on a cheater pulley, intake, fuel pump, and enjoy it more.

Back