2016-2017 Toyota Tacoma recalled for potential stalling

OR17TRD

Toyota has announced a recall of approximately 32,000 Tacoma pickups from the 2016 and 2017 model years.

The recall is limited to trucks equipped with V6 engines. According to Toyota, the crankshaft timing rotor associated with those engines may have been manufactured with too much anti-corrosion coating. As a result, the Tacoma's crank position sensor may malfunction.

In the best-case scenario, the issue would simply result in a warning light illuminating on the Tacoma's dashboard. It's possible, however, that the sensor malfunction could cause the engine to run roughly or even stall. Should the latter happen while the vehicle is in traffic, it could dramatically increase the risk of a collision.

Toyota will begin mailing recall notices to owners of all affected vehicles in mid-July. At that time, owners will be able to take their pickups to local Toyota dealerships for service. Dealers will remove the existing crank position sensor and replace it with a sensor that has been designed to fix the problem. The fix will be carried out at no charge.

If you own a 2016 or 2017 Tacoma and have further questions, you're encouraged to call Toyota Customer Service at 1-800-331-4331. You can also get information about recalls affecting your Toyota vehicle by visiting Toyota.com/recall or safercar.gov/vinand entering your vehicle identification number.

Wow. How many does this make now...
It's 3 for the gen3 but soon to be involved in a 4th. There was about 310 recalled right out of the gate for a bolt on the airbag module. Over 200k for rear diff leak and 32k for this sensor. A hood scoop recall is coming in August for 2011-2016's. I'm assuming the sport models since they have the hood scoops. I'll start a thread with that info.

Toyota has announced a recall of approximately 32,000 Tacoma pickups from the 2016 and 2017 model years.

The recall is limited to trucks equipped with V6 engines. According to Toyota, the crankshaft timing rotor associated with those engines may have been manufactured with too much anti-corrosion coating. As a result, the Tacoma's crank position sensor may malfunction.

In the best-case scenario, the issue would simply result in a warning light illuminating on the Tacoma's dashboard. It's possible, however, that the sensor malfunction could cause the engine to run roughly or even stall. Should the latter happen while the vehicle is in traffic, it could dramatically increase the risk of a collision.

Toyota will begin mailing recall notices to owners of all affected vehicles in mid-July. At that time, owners will be able to take their pickups to local Toyota dealerships for service. Dealers will remove the existing crank position sensor and replace it with a sensor that has been designed to fix the problem. The fix will be carried out at no charge.

If you own a 2016 or 2017 Tacoma and have further questions, you're encouraged to call Toyota Customer Service at 1-800-331-4331. You can also get information about recalls affecting your Toyota vehicle by visiting Toyota.com/recall or safercar.gov/vinand entering your vehicle identification number.

Oh my ---------. Am going to look up vin ## and see if I can find it---- am so not happy---- unreal. That number is who I have called few times, to ask what's wrong, asking her to reach out to techs across states so I can get fixed, she has also called me few times- and tells me she's never heard of it before.

Oh my ---------. Am going to look up vin ## and see if I can find it---- am so not happy---- unreal. That number is who I have called few times, to ask what's wrong, asking her to reach out to techs across states so I can get fixed, she has also called me few times- and tells me she's never heard of it before.
Well it’s a thing. I hope you get them to fix it for you.

Back