2016 Engine Noise - Normal or Nightmare ?

Hi, new here,

I recently bought the TRD-Sport. So far no issues at all, but what I'm concerned is the 'ticking' or 'pinging'.

That's the only thing I found a little bit annoying. Mine sounds like it has some sort of valve or timing chain issue. Not so sure, since this is my first Tacoma. It doesn't sound that loud like an engine with lifter issues, but it definitely sounds a little bit loud for my taste ? I haven't drive another so I can compare yet (I'm going to the dealership soon, just to make sure is normal). But before that I decided to exchange some feedback in the meantime.

Anyways, can you guys give your feedback regarding the engine noise ?

Hi, new here,

I recently bought the TRD-Sport. So far no issues at all, but what I'm concerned is the 'ticking' or 'pinging'.

That's the only thing I found a little bit annoying. Mine sounds like it has some sort of valve or timing chain issue. Not so sure, since this is my first Tacoma. It doesn't sound that loud like an engine with lifter issues, but it definitely sounds a little bit loud for my taste ? I haven't drive another so I can compare yet (I'm going to the dealership soon, just to make sure is normal). But before that I decided to exchange some feedback in the meantime.

Anyways, can you guys give your feedback regarding the engine noise ?
Every Tacoma I've owned has had that ticking sound to it.

I also have the sport and it seems to do it also after the motor runs for alittle bit. Pretty annoying if you ask me.

Thxs for your quick response.

I really appreciate ur feedback. I think it is going to take some time until my brain get used to it...

Hi, just to give you an update. I took it to the dealership just to make sure. Everything was normal. We gave it a good ride and engine sounds just as the others. So, for now it is "totally normal".

TIme will tell.

Thanks everyone!:D

What you are hearing is the injectors and is totally normal. When the engine is warm if you go to the rear of the truck by the exaust pipe, you will hear it idle at different speeds that's the injection switching back and forth between injectors and port injection. Engine noise will do the same thing after you notice the exhaust sound. It will be a little noisier and then it will cycle down when direct Port injection cycle engages. It is normal on the New 3.5. On the 4.0 models it was worse it had what sounded like a piston slap especially at start up. That is actually a dry oil pump at start -up and Toyota knew about the issue but did not want to issue a recall on the oil pumps on the 4.0 engines. Sorry starting to get off topic lol. But to get back to the noise It is Normal..

2016 Tacoma Trd Off-road. (Silver Bullet)
2015 Tacoma Sr5. (Polar Bear)

What you are hearing is the injectors and is totally normal. When the engine is warm if you go to the rear of the truck by the exaust pipe, you will hear it idle at different speeds that's the injection switching back and forth between injectors and port injection. Engine noise will do the same thing after you notice the exhaust sound. It will be a little noisier and then it will cycle down when direct Port injection cycle engages. It is normal on the New 3.5. On the 4.0 models it was worse it had what sounded like a piston slap especially at start up. That is actually a dry oil pump at start -up and Toyota knew about the issue but did not want to issue a recall on the oil pumps on the 4.0 engines. Sorry starting to get off topic lol. But to get back to the noise It is Normal..

2016 Tacoma Trd Off-road. (Silver Bullet)
2015 Tacoma Sr5. (Polar Bear)

Oh man I really really appreciate your response. That's the best explanation i've got so far.

"Engine noise will do the same thing after you notice the exhaust sound"

I noticed that as well. Thxs!!!

My taco is more noisey than I like but I think that is normal for newer vehicles in general. My wife's 2014 grand cherokee is the same way. I think it has something to do with the epa demands for better mpgs, auto manufacturers loosen things up a little for that tad better mpg. I had a 2014 f 150 for work with the 5.0, it was also noisier than the old 5.4. Just my opinion

Yeah I don't mind the noise. I do have a slight problem with the shifting when getting onto a highway or going up a hill... But whatever. A truck is a truck

2016 TRD OFF-ROAD

Two things you're hearing on this new engine. One is the first 30 seconds or so on cold start. The ECU runs the engine timing super advanced to fire up the cats. Range Rover, Jag, and BMW all do the same. Sounds horrible at start but its normal. Two, the injectors have a second circular port that is opened occasionally by the ECU to blow any deposits off of the tip of the main injection port. You'll really notice this if your truck is sitting there idling for 10 minutes and the sound drastically changes. Almost like it started up an air compressor under the hood for 10-15 seconds then returns to normal.

mine has 2200 miles and the normal toyota tick isnt bothering me , but on the passenger side near the fire wall there is a different sound almost sounds like a light knocking sound. Just about every 3.5 ive heard running sounds the same . What is making the knock/rattle sound only on the passenger rear of the engine?

Same thing here...I freaked out when I got mine and scoured the net to find that it is normal...Can deal with it as long as I know it is normal...came from a 04 and really love me new one! Also my 04 too...but in a different way! lol

mine has 2200 miles and the normal toyota tick isnt bothering me , but on the passenger side near the fire wall there is a different sound almost sounds like a light knocking sound. Just about every 3.5 ive heard running sounds the same . What is making the knock/rattle sound only on the passenger rear of the engine?
Just bought my 2017 and mine has this exact knock/rattle. Anyone know what this is?

Back