2016 OR wheel and upgrade tire

Boxerdad214

I have a full factory wheel and tire package and need new tires soon. I’m not a guy that wants to lift my truck but am considering stepping up a tire size. I guess my question is, what size up can I get and not affect my speedometer and MPG. I drive a lot so I’m not looking for a huge tire that will take my MPG away. My tire of choice so far is a BF Goodrich A/T. Suggestions please

265 75 r16 on factory off road wheels
423686637ec05108279fb175af70c75d.jpg
00969602ba44384648f1eae6bc461ced.jpg

Good choice on tires. 265/75/16 is the largest tire on stock. You’re going from 30.6” to 31.6” so your speedometer will be off by about 3 mph at 70mph your actual speed is going to be about 73. Around town it’s not going to be a big enough difference to notice. Any time you add a larger heavier tire your MPG will suffer some. With that upgrade you may see up to a ~2mph decrease in mpg from stock. Stay with 265/70/16 if you want to keep it stock.
Déjà vu...

According to GPS my speedo is right on with the 265 75 r16 so I'm guessing it was a little high before but I never checked it while stock
Your CPM still thinks you have stock tires so your trucks gps won’t change and at 40mph it’s 1.3mph difference you won’t notice it until you get above 65-80mph. There is a change your tire is 1” bigger.

Or17trd is correct about mpg too almost exactly 2mpg less according to the dash but my 30 mile commute also got a half mile shorter according to the trip summary so atlest part of it washes out

Or17trd is correct about mpg too almost exactly 2mpg less according to the dash but my 30 mile commute also got a half mile shorter according to the trip summary so atlest part of it washes out
The half mile is because the larger tires go further with each full rotation.

All great info but I think I’m gonna stick with factory size since I don’t want to decrease my MPG. I drive too much so every little bit helps. I will be changing tires right around 30k on factory

Make sure you pay attention to load ratting on what ever tire you choose alot of tire places are quick to quote the e load tire when you tell them that size when a c is more than you need on our trucks and the weight difference can be significant

Make sure you pay attention to load ratting on what ever tire you choose alot of tire places are quick to quote the e load tire when you tell them that size when a c is more than you need on our trucks and the weight difference can be significant

So what are you recommending for load ?

Depends on your need the factory tires are considered standard load and are not on the alphabet scale of load rating. SL tires will be your lightest option but not alot of aggressive tread at tires come in sl so you go to the lt rating on the alphabet scale my duratracs came in c or e for the size I got the c is already a much higher weight capacity than stock and 2 pounds lighter than the exact same tire in an e rating that has even more weight capacity. In the stock tire size bf Goodrich makes a ko2 in a d that weighs 49lbs and that is the lowest for that tire and weighs more than my larger duratrac with a c rating. Even without going to a bigger tire you can increase tire weight thus reducing mpg. If mpg is your top concern stick to the SL tires but it limits your selection to the more street oriented side of the at tires

Depends on your need the factory tires are considered standard load and are not on the alphabet scale of load rating. SL tires will be your lightest option but not alot of aggressive tread at tires come in sl so you go to the lt rating on the alphabet scale my duratracs came in c or e for the size I got the c is already a much higher weight capacity than stock and 2 pounds lighter than the exact same tire in an e rating that has even more weight capacity. In the stock tire size bf Goodrich makes a ko2 in a d that weighs 49lbs and that is the lowest for that tire and weighs more than my larger duratrac with a c rating. Even without going to a bigger tire you can increase tire weight thus reducing mpg. If mpg is your top concern stick to the SL tires but it limits your selection to the more street oriented side of the at tires

Thanks man I appreciate your input. I want a slightly aggressive tire so I’m stepping up to a AT or KO2s since I live in Buffalo and winter is approaching. I’m willing to give up a little on this. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the look of a big boy tire, but community 50 miles a day just to work and home seems to be adding up. I do plan on adding a diamond back hard cover and possibly get a pop up next year. As for extra weight adding on the truck it’s not a issue for me.

You will loose more mpg with the 265 70 r16 ko2 with a d rating than if you went with the larger tire in a c rating my duratracs in the 265 75 weigh 4lbs less each than the ko2 your talking about in the stock size. The ko is a good tire but crazy heavy and weight robs more mpg than size

You will loose more mpg with the 265 70 r16 ko2 with a d rating than if you went with the larger tire in a c rating my duratracs in the 265 75 weigh 4lbs less each than the ko2 your talking about in the stock size. The ko is a good tire but crazy heavy and weight robs more mpg than size

Dam didn’t think about that. I’m open to other Comparable tires and performance. Do you have pics of your set up?

Back