2016 Tacoma 4 door model wind noise

So....I bought my 2016 Toyota Tacoma brand new... Its been leaking around the windshield on the drivers side...every time it rains, it leaks...I was driving down the interstate and a vehicle in front of me kicked up some rocks and the chipped the windshield, literally cracking it.. the dealership told me the crack was the cause of the leak...umm wrong...I had the windshield replaced today by safe-lite. The technician showed me the windshield and guess what......crickets.......chirp chirp.......there was no bonding adhesive on the windshield on the drivers side....Problem??? i think so.. How dangerous is that?? I am not a happy camper...Anyone have any issues with the windshield leaking???
Kevin, i didn't have a leak but on my passenger side windshield it wasn't sealed property that caused crazy noise. Check out you tube. Wind noise tacoma.

I have had that whistling noise in my 2016 Tacoma since I bought it. Front the driver side door, up in the top corner by the windshield. I finally found a dealer who fixed it. The replaced the doors seal on both sides with part numbers:
6786104062 - weatherstrip
6786204062 - weatherstrip

I have had that whistling noise in my 2016 Tacoma since I bought it at speeds above 55 miles a hour, usually with a crosswind. On the front driver side door, up in the top corner by the windshield. I finally found a dealer who fixed it. They replaced the doors seals/weatherstrip on both sides with part numbers:
6786104062 - weatherstrip
6786204062 - weatherstrip

The new weatherstrips have an extra rubber piece in the v channel of the weatherstrip to create a better seal.
Hope this helps some of you. Sorry for the double post.

Wow I have the same problem with my 2016 on passenger side. The tech road with me and heard the sound. Ok I bought a 1999 which Toyota had to buy back because of rust issue. Then my new 2008 had the ring issue with the 4C burning oil at a huge rate. Life time dealership wouldn't stand behind it. New 2016 at different dealer and the crazy sound on crosswinds and highways. This crap needs to stop!!! Taking it back next week fix or the yelling starts again.

Pls don't fall into the lie that the dealership has a new tsb updated weather strip because I am here to imform u that what they have done is only added a dam piece of rubber tube and super glued it onto the channel of weather strip their intention was for me to never find out of their short cuts and this is an unexcetable fix it only makes me very mad that they try to trick people, they need to have a real fix and not just take a short cut hoping that people just stay quiet and forget about the problem well if you all know these trucks are not cheap, so if further problems arise pls contact ur States Attorney General and file a complaint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pls check closely on their fixes because they don't have one, don't be fooled check all the channels for added rubber tubes, Foams, ect, its like placing a bandage onto a broken axel that is not a real fix!!!!!!!! They will try to get away with it I could not believe this until they kept trying to trick me with the fix over and over well now im going to file the worst reviews for them all over the internet and hire an attorney and also file a complaint with the States Attorney General.

Last edited:
Wow I have the same problem with my 2016 on passenger side. The tech road with me and heard the sound. Ok I bought a 1999 which Toyota had to buy back because of rust issue. Then my new 2008 had the ring issue with the 4C burning oil at a huge rate. Life time dealership wouldn't stand behind it. New 2016 at different dealer and the crazy sound on crosswinds and highways. This crap needs to stop!!! Taking it back next week fix or the yelling starts again.
Pls i have been dealing with this problem for a bout a year I have contacted manufacturer I have taken it in for change of weather strips and they don't have a fix contact ur states attorney general and file a complaint and pls read my latest post don't let them cut short cuts by either fixing problem by just adding foam, rubber tubes, they need do make a part that fixes the problem!!!

My 2016 Tacoma Sport had a howling sound on driver side at around 35 mph. Read some post about blocking the holes on the lower control arm. Used duck tape and no more howling. Thanks all for the tip

I've tried to upload the video file. No video except the dash, but the audio is there, if the upload worked. It starts at the end, but the last 20 secs of the end. There are about 3 min 15 secs of the entire video. Go to the last part.

I was at the dealer today talking to the regional tech about issues.
Talked about how I have a strong wind noise at hwy speeds and its worse with cross winds. He told me they made new weather stripping that is being installed on the newer 2017 and all the 2018 will have them. He's checking to see if mine was manufactured before they figured this out. He didn't say anything about a TSB. Does any one have an actual TSB#.
Sounds like they know it was an issue and fixed it on newer models and as 2016/2017 customers come in and complain they are replacing the weather stripping but not under a TSB. Just under warranty.
Am I wrong? TSB#? Anyone?

After living with this annoying vibrating reed noise at the top of the front door seals every time I drive into/against a cross wind for 18 mos/25,000 mi. I decided to fix this myself.
Toyo has yet to extend their TSB for 2014/15 for the same issue on 2016s. ( sounds like 2107 do the same ). It was a 5 min. fix and cost $3.50.
If you look at the front door seals along the top and roll them away from the door just a bit you'll see a big gap behind them.
Run down to your favorite hardware store and find some 3/8 or 1/2" round tubular closed cell weather striping with the adhesive tape attached.
Cut a piece long enough to run from the top rear corner were the existing door seal is glued to the door frame down to about even with the mirror.
Peel off about 6" of the adhesive tape cover and fit the new seal into the channel behind the door seal allowing the glue edge to stick to the door frame.
Work your way down the door 4 to 6" at a time until done. This eliminated all door squealing for me and has no door leaks. Easy fix.

Bought my 2016 Tacoma in April after selling my 2003 after 13 years and 225,000 miles. What a disappointment!!!! The truck has been at the dealer 3 times for door wind noise. The last time it was at the dealer for 5 weeks. Apparently this problem has been going on with the model for a very long time with no resolve.

Hi Walt N. See my post below for a possible fix. Hope it works for you.

Last edited:
Hi Justin, I have a 2015 TRD Sport double cab with this exact same noise. It's been at the deeler for over a week now. This is the 3rd time I've taken it in. The service manager said it is related to cross winds, however, they have not been able to fix it yet. It's very frustrating. They did provide me a rental car at no cost, but it's not the same as my truck. Hoping some others may have a fix for this. In the mean time, I'll update what my dealer in Merritt Island FL comes up with. The noise I hear is at high way speeds usually around 75 - 80 when it's windy. Other times it does not make any noise unless you run it up to about 95 lol.[/QUOTE

Appreciate the video. Captured the noise perfectly.

Last edited:
I had the same noise with my new 2016 Tacoma Off Road 4 door. I'd hear it start at approximately 75 mph up through 90+mph on the driver's side. I suspected everything from defective bumper sensors to sound system noise and then realized it was a wind issue. I took it to the dealer and told them about the noise and the speeds it was occurring at and they laughed and wondered why I was driving so fast and said that since it was over the speed limit they couldn't help me and wouldn't even go on a test drive with me. San Diego freeway speeds in the morning are frequently 80 mph just keeping up with traffic. With the drivers door open I inspected the area at the top door hinge area and noticed the foam weather stripping that covers between the fender over to the door frame. I noticed that the piece of foam had a gap on the door frame side. It wasn't a complete seal. The passenger side is the same but not as bad and I've had no noise on that side. This is an odd fix but the noise was really irritating me so I took a cloth and filled the upper cavity with it and I haven't heard the noise since, this was two months ago. I have purposely driven at the critical speeds and on the same freeway areas where the noise would occur (gusty wind areas) and no noises since. Crazy fix but now I can drive without the noise.

I had the same noise with my new 2016 Tacoma Off Road 4 door. I'd hear it start at approximately 75 mph up through 90+mph on the driver's side. I suspected everything from defective bumper sensors to sound system noise and then realized it was a wind issue. I took it to the dealer and told them about the noise and the speeds it was occurring at and they laughed and wondered why I was driving so fast and said that since it was over the speed limit they couldn't help me and wouldn't even go on a test drive with me. San Diego freeway speeds in the morning are frequently 80 mph just keeping up with traffic. With the drivers door open I inspected the area at the top door hinge area and noticed the foam weather stripping that covers between the fender over to the door frame. I noticed that the piece of foam had a gap on the door frame side. It wasn't a complete seal. The passenger side is the same but not as bad and I've had no noise on that side. This is an odd fix but the noise was really irritating me so I took a cloth and filled the upper cavity with it and I haven't heard the noise since, this was two months ago. I have purposely driven at the critical speeds and on the same freeway areas where the noise would occur (gusty wind areas) and no noises since. Crazy fix but now I can drive without the noise.
Yeah I read that the first time you posted it.

And this is why you should never buy the first year of a redesigned truck. Just saying.
I had the same noise on my 1997 4 Runner, 2014 Tacoma and my 2016 Tacoma. The dealership gives me a blank look when I describe the problem like they've never heard of it before.

Hi Bob
Please send me your case report. I have the same issue going to the dealer on Monday. I agree more we complain better chances Toyota will be able to give a solution.
I have the same noise on my 2016 and Toyota has had this for years. My 1997 4 Runner did it and my 2014 Tacoma did as well. All three were on the passenger side.

Back