2016 Tacoma - Lurching in Reverse -- VIDEO.!!

Zahid G

I have a 2016 Tacoma, every time I put the truck in reverse going off my driveway the truck makes a suction noise, and kind of Lurch, it does the same thing going forward. I hate this sound and hate feeling how the truck lurches every time I am backing up. Besides that horrible ticking noise now I have to star living with this **** too damn.

I have to mention that when you hear the suction noise. Maybe from the throttle body. It does it when in very slow speed going in Reverse or going in Drive, NO accelerating
(1-4mph) and when moving around the steering wheel.

YouTube video Link down below;

Last edited:
The "suction" noise is the engine revving a tiny bit between gear changes, the lurching is the engine torque transfer to the drivetrain and the ticking is the injectors. There is nothing wrong with your truck.

The "suction" noise is the engine revving a tiny bit between gear changes, the lurching is the engine torque transfer to the drivetrain and the ticking is the injectors. There is nothing wrong with your truck.

If there was nothing wrong with the truck i wouldn't be complaining about it,
ticking noise NORMAL OK, I can understand that, it doesn't mean I like it, it sounds more like a diesel truck but okay, no problem there.

"Suction" noise I do NOT think it's normal you only able to hear it when moving the steering wheel and no acceleration just with your foot off the break, and going in reverse. NOT NORMAL, are you a technical from Toyota and they pay you come here??

Lurching NOT NORMAL either, truck hesitate when going in reverse and catches, ((same in Drive)) going very very slow, no accelerating
and you hear the "suction" noise when moving steering wheel.

If there was nothing wrong with the truck i wouldn't be complaining about it,
ticking noise NORMAL OK, I can understand that, it doesn't mean I like it, it sounds more like a diesel truck but okay, no problem there.

"Suction" noise I do NOT think it's normal you only able to hear it when moving the steering wheel and no acceleration just with your foot off the break, and going in reverse. NOT NORMAL, are you a technical from Toyota and they pay you come here??

Lurching NOT NORMAL either, truck hesitate when going in reverse and catches, ((same in Drive)) going very very slow, no accelerating
and you hear the "suction" noise when moving steering wheel.

I'm not a Toyota tech but I know a lot about cars/trucks.

If you are moving the steering wheel then the ECU is compensating for the added load from the power steering pump. All cars with computerized fuel injection and a belt driven power steering pump do this no matter what make. The engine RPM is brought when extra loud is applied like when you turn on the AC.

Your truck is far from a diesel sound.

The slow gear change can be low trans fluid which has been talked to death about on the forums.

What did you own before and what is your experience with working on vehicles? Just curious.

Last edited:
Well sorry, but you sound like you are trying to hide Tacoma problems.

I have read a lot these past 2 days about people complaining about the same thing, Lurching in reverse, suction noise when moving steering wheel, and hesitating when in low speeds (1-5mph) I guess it's not only me. I see what you are saying but, I'm still not happy with my Tacoma. I came here looking for answers and help from people like you that seems to have some experience with cars. but I haven't got any luck. no answers not really a good opinion, all I have readied is people complaining.

ticking noise "normal" oh well, that noise is horrible, I own a 2011 f250 Diesel 6.7 power stroke. and my Tacoma sounds like **** compare to my f250.
but hey it's normal. damn.

I have done the first service on transmission already I know for a fact it is full, so the lurching and hesitating gotta be something else.

the funny thing about this is that I traded my 2013 Tacoma for the brand new 2016, just to encounter all this issues.

I have read a lot these past 2 days about people complaining about the same thing, Lurching in reverse, suction noise when moving steering wheel, and hesitating when in low speeds (1-5mph) I guess it's not only me. I see what you are saying but, I'm still not happy with my Tacoma. I came here looking for answers and help from people like you that seems to have some experience with cars. but I haven't got any luck. no answers not really a good opinion, all I have readied is people complaining.

ticking noise "normal" oh well, that noise is horrible, I own a 2011 f250 Diesel 6.7 power stroke. and my Tacoma sounds like **** compare to my f250.

I have done the first service on transmission already I know for a fact it is full, so the lurching and hesitating gotta be something else.

the funny thing about this is that I traded my 2013 Tacoma for the brand new 2016, just to encounter all this issues.

Yes you know me too well. Me trying to hide Tacoma problems...oh wait you don't know me. To me, Tacomas are overrated turds. I've had one for 7 years now and it hasn't let me down but it also can't do much truck stuff.

I say sell your truck and go back to the rock you were under.

The ticking is actually addressed in your manual.

He's new and trying to instigate something.

I was thinking of trading in my 2013 DCSB on a 16 or a 17. Then I started reading about all the problems the new ones are having...

I appreciated you responding to my concerns, I am just a little frustrated on how my truck is behaving, I am trying to see if any one has had their truck repair.

To be honest I think is just the suction of the intake and throttle body making that noise. Nothing wrong with it. When I put a after market intake and throttle body on my truck it made it noticeable. A loud suction and whistle. More cold air that gets sucked in means more horsepower

Sent from my iPhone using Taco Forum

To be honest I think is just the suction of the intake and throttle body making that noise. Nothing wrong with it. When I put a after market intake and throttle body on my truck it made it noticeable. A loud suction and whistle. More cold air that gets sucked in means more horsepower

That could be it, but unfortunately my Taco kind of lurch/hesitate when in reverse

Normally if I ever have any problems figuring stuff out. I google my problem and normally someone somewhere has done it fixed it or made a video on how to do it. Try it

Back