2017 Tacoma jerky and sporadic shifting.

KPACK

I am new to the forum and wanted to try and gather some more information as to what could be happening with my new Tacoma and the jerkiness I am feeling within the throttle/shifting. I purchased a new 2017 Tacoma TRD OR LB on labor day weekend this year and have progressively noticed a jerky feel in the vehicle when trying to keep a constant speed (really noticable at 45 and then again around 70 mph). It feels as though the engine is misfiring or the transmission is jumping in and out of gear (not sure which), but when I get down on the throttle it is un-noticable. I have also taken my truck to the dealership where I was informed there was a known issue, but after checking the tech said that I had the most up-to-date software for the transmission and there is nothing further he can do.

I've read other threads on similar issues and find it very hard to believe that Toyota has gone this long without really fixing the problem. I had a 2010 Tacoma Sport that shifted extremely smooth and no issues, a 2013 Tundra (again awesome truck but gas mileage sucked), and ontop of that I just bought my wife a 2017 4Runner a month ago and it drives/shifts like a dream. When did Toyota screw up their best selling truck and not seem to give a crap about it?truck.jpg

Answer to that last question. In 2016.
Some of what you are feeling is the Atkinson motor. Some is the transmission.
How many miles do you have on it?

If it is both the motor and trans...seems like a very bad decision and cannot believe Toyota went forward with that combination. Are there any recalls to this?

I'm betting it's a transmission thing.

Although I'll have to revisit this once I put more miles on my truck, I have a 6MT, and I've never had an issue with the motor feeling jerky. Get over about 3500 RPM and you can feel the VVT kicking in and/or the Atkinson cycle stopping. But that's largely normal for vehicles running that kind of engine configuration.

Not saying your issue isn't the engine, just that I haven't had any problems with mine (yet).

Seems like this transmission/engine jerky symptom is fairly common. Should see if anyone here has a manual truck with more miles on it and is seeing the same thing.

I have a 2017 built in August and mine runs flawless.If it wasnt for these forums I would know there was or is an issue.I also live in a hilly area.I drove from Temecula to San Diego and back yesterday and rolled through 4th,5th,6th,gears Smoothly.Again I say smoothly at 75 to 80 mph.I also had two other passengers.

I have noticed as well (when pulling a utility trailer and UTV) that in ECT pwr it as as though it does not want to come out of gear and shift at times. It will nearly red line and keep high rpms when it does not need to.

Like @OR17TRD said, it’s a little of the Atkinson you are feeling. Plus the shift points are low on these transmissions for fuel economy. Mine has done worlds better since it has broken in a little.
Try driving with the ECT engaged for a while at the same speeds and see if you have the same issues.

Welcome to the forum.
Also, the 2017 4-Runner still has the 4.0 liter with the same drive train that you would be used to in the last second gen Tacoma you had.
I know there’s a lot of complaints and issues with the current drive train. I can truly say I don’t mind it except for the lower shifting speeds of the tranny but it’s something I’ve gotten used to.

I have not notice it as much in ECT when I am not pulling anything. The TSB, is that a transmission software update? The Toyota tech said I had the most updated software in it already. I do greatly appreciate the info and knowledge, but I am noticing it more lately and it is getting annoying. I love the truck, handling and overall ride is awesome, but that jumpiness with the engine/Trans is really making me second guess owning a Tacoma.

I have not notice it as much in ECT when I am not pulling anything. The TSB, is that a transmission software update? The Toyota tech said I had the most updated software in it already. I do greatly appreciate the info and knowledge, but I am noticing it more lately and it is getting annoying. I love the truck, handling and overall ride is awesome, but that jumpiness with the engine/Trans is really making me second guess owning a Tacoma.
Might be the winter gas blend.

A good friend of mine is a master Toyota tech. We we're talking last week about the 3rd gen Tacoma. He said nothing is wrong with the new trucks just people have to learn their characteristics and they do get better and learn the more u drive..

A good friend of mine is a master Toyota tech. We we're talking last week about the 3rd gen Tacoma. He said nothing is wrong with the new trucks just people have to learn their characteristics and they do get better and learn the more u drive..

Good to know.

Well that definitely makes me feel better. I was going to ask in this thread if anyone has used a tuner on them to fix it, but guess there is no need.

Always good to have friends like that. Thanks for the info.

I have had a lot of the same issues. Wrote a thread called “what was Toyota thinking.” Some but not all of my issues have cleared up with time. Toyota is over thinking it. Plain and simple.

Back