2017 Tacoma TRD Lift / Wheels

DeaneBean

I recently sold my Chevy 2500 HD diesel and bought a 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab. My daughter is driving now, loves to off-road but the Chevy was too much truck for her to feel comfortable driving.

I would like to install a 3” Rough Country lift with 33”’s or similar but the installer says that the biggest tire I can install with the 3” lift is 265/75/R16. I have 265/70/R16 on the Tacoma now and the factory rims are great (16”).

The difference between the tires on it now and the ones they suggest is about an inch at most. It seems like a lot of money to spend to be only able to increase tire size by an inch.

Can I put 265/80/R16’s on it and use the same factory rims with a 3” lift? Or do I need to swap out the rims too?

Thanks in advance. Much appreciated!

You can also put 285/70/R16 on it with a wee bit of rubbing in the front fenders on heavy cornering.

My preference was to put a Toytech lift on it but haven’t found anyone here in New Hampshire to install (I am familiar with turning wrenches but not enough to trust my work in a truck that my daughter will be driving). If there are reputable installers (of Toytech or similar/better quality) here in NH please reach out!

I recently sold my Chevy 2500 HD diesel and bought a 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab. My daughter is driving now, loves to off-road but the Chevy was too much truck for her to feel comfortable driving.

I would like to install a 3” Rough Country lift with 33”’s or similar but the installer says that the biggest tire I can install with the 3” lift is 265/75/R16. I have 265/70/R16 on the Tacoma now and the factory rims are great (16”).

The difference between the tires on it now and the ones they suggest is about an inch at most. It seems like a lot of money to spend to be only able to increase tire size by an inch.

Can I put 265/80/R16’s on it and use the same factory rims with a 3” lift? Or do I need to swap out the rims too?

Thanks in advance. Much appreciated!
You will need a lower offset wheel or wheel spacers (not recommended) on the stock wheels to fit 285/75/16 they won’t rub much with a 3” lift. I have the same truck and have the revtek pro 40013 3” kit. I’ve had it for about 10 months and have had no issues so far. It is a spacer up front and an AAL in back which is not recommended by most on here. I went that route so I could fit the tires I wanted and that’s the one my local dealer would work with me on warranty issues related to the lift. Which I’ve had the needle bearing and a front diff go out.
Bilstein 5100’s set to 0 with the OME 887 coils and a Dakar pack in back is a sold lift. Even just bilstein’s set to 4 and an AAL in back is going to be way better than a ruff country spacer lift and it’s only a couple hundred more.

You will need a lower offset wheel or wheel spacers (not recommended) on the stock wheels to fit 285/75/16 they won’t rub much with a 3” lift. I have the same truck and have the revtek pro 40013 3” kit. I’ve had it for about 10 months and have had no issues so far. It is a spacer up front and an AAL in back which is not recommended by most on here. I went that route so I could fit the tires I wanted and that’s the one my local dealer would work with me on warranty issues related to the lift. Which I’ve had the needle bearing and a front diff go out.
Bilstein 5100’s set to 0 with the OME 887 coils and a Dakar pack in back is a sold lift. Even just bilstein’s set to 4 and an AAL in back is going to be way better than a ruff country spacer lift and it’s only a couple hundred more.
You've replaced the needle bearing in your truck? @OR17TRD

You've replaced the needle bearing in your truck? @OR17TRD
It was making the intermittent hum hum around 35mph I could feel it in the steering wheel and floor board. The hum would go away with 4wd hi engaged. If I wouldn’t of had the dealer lift the truck with their lift I would of done the ECGS bushing fix but they fixed it under warranty. While they where in there the front diff had significant wear in it already and they replaced it at the same time. It seems like the hum is coming back though. Not as bad as it was originally but the last few hundred miles I’ve noticed a slight vibration around 34-40mph and it goes away with 4wd. :(

It was making the intermittent hum hum around 35mph I could feel it in the steering wheel and floor board. The hum would go away with 4wd hi engaged. If I wouldn’t of had the dealer lift the truck with their lift I would of done the ECGS bushing fix but they fixed it under warranty. While they where in there the front diff had significant wear in it already and they replaced it at the same time. It seems like the hum is coming back though. Not as bad as it was originally but the last few hundred miles I’ve noticed a slight vibration around 34-40mph and it goes away with 4wd. :(

Man. I can’t believe the needle bearing already had to be replaced.

I haven't had any issues with mine. It's got 3 inches of lift. I bought it with 79k and it has 105k now. Maybe it's been done already [emoji53]... Although I do get a pretty good hum/ vibe from driver side wheel between 95 and 100 MPH . All wheel bearings are new so idk..

I haven't had any issues with mine. It's got 3 inches of lift. I bought it with 79k and it has 105k now. Maybe it's been done already [emoji53]... Although I do get a pretty good hum/ vibe from driver side wheel between 95 and 100 MPH . All wheel bearings are new so idk..
Haha. Well hopefully you’re not doing that fast often enough to worry about it. You would know if the needle bearing was an issue. It’s a very annoying vibration that only happens around 35mph and will go away in 4wd.

Back