2017 Toyota Tacoma transmission. Come on Toyota!!

What Tacoma do you have now?
Well that is the thing, I don't. I also test drove the Nissan Fronteir SV package. But $399 a month on an outdated gas guzzling V6 I thought was too much. I love the Tacoma And the outdoors too, but because I know the head honcho at Liberty Chevrolet and told him I was at the Toyota dealership they offered me a really good deal I couldn't ignore. No $$ down with a bed liner and tonneau cover added I ended up leasing a 2017 5.3liter V8 double cab Chevy Silverado for $344 a month! As satisfied as I am with my decision, I have to admit that on a daily basis I love checking out Tacomas I see on the road and wonder (did I make the right decision?) if that is what my next truck will be in only 2 years now, when lease is up!?! Let me say I am not a Chevy fanboy either. However, that brings up the ZR2 also, but those low hanging rear shock mounts suck!

Last edited:
Well that is the thing, I don't. I also test drove the Nissan Fronteir SV package. But $399 a month on an outdated gas guzzling V6 I thought was too much. I love the Tacoma And the outdoors too, but because I know the head honcho at Liberty Chevrolet and told him I was at the Toyota dealership they offered me a really good deal I couldn't ignore. No $$ down with a bed liner and tonneau cover added I ended up leasing a 2017 5.3liter V8 double cab Chevy Silverado for $344 a month! As satisfied as I am with my decision, I have to admit that on a daily basis I love checking out Tacomas I see on the road and wonder if that is what my next truck will be in now only..... 2 years, when lease is up!

Funny because I tried to buy a Chevy before my Tacoma but the Chevy dealer didn't want to budge from sticker price.

Another funny is the pushrod 5.3 in your Chevy is considered more outdated than the DOHC 4.0 in the Nissan.

Funny because I tried to buy a Chevy before my Tacoma but the Chevy dealer didn't want to budge from sticker price.

Another funny is the pushrod 5.3 in your Chevy is considered more outdated than the DOHC 4.0 in the Nissan.
Yeah I believe the 5.3 was introduced in 1999 to replace the 5.7 in the silverado , tahoe ect...

Jeez I mean outdated as far as no interior or exterior refresh. Trust me I liked the Frontier for it's simplicity overall and may have bought it if the dealer was able to get the payment lower. The overall price of the truck was excellent.....under $30K. But the gas mileage for a small V6 is aweful. Worse than Chevy 1/2 ton. So I just can't justify it.

Last edited:

You actually wanted a Chevy over a Taco?

After leasing tacomas for 12 years I decided to buy a 2016. So in October 2016 bought a DCSB sport with the advanced tech package. Within the first week I started complaining about the constant shifting. After 8 months of the dealership run around I called Toyota customer service and was told the transmission is working exactly how it was designed to work. I now drive an F150. There is nothing good to say about the new Tacoma. Weak engine, horrible transmission and sounds like a sewing machine. Sunroof rattled and leaked, trifold bed cover leaked. Now power seat, no power rear window. Engine is a complete joke. I tell it go home it sends me to IHOP. Seats are so low it feels like you're sitting on the floor. Lame fabric on the dash. Worst vehicle I ever drove.

Agree- got a SR5, engine sounds like wore out diesel( dealer says normal) shifts all time( auto). How-after 8 months and only 3,000 miles have lost power- dead in water, coasted side of hwy, did not die but not moving, been dealership 3 times, computer showers no codes- talked corp- say not heard of it!! Made a case ##. Now after I see looking more on forums here---just wow---. And pick up did it 4th time today -very dangerous. Have had 7 tacomas- this is worst ever. The surging and shifting I just deal with, but lose power-- dangerous. What are we to do?? So many issues with the 2017 I see.

Agree- got a SR5, engine sounds like wore out diesel( dealer says normal) shifts all time( auto). How-after 8 months and only 3,000 miles have lost power- dead in water, coasted side of hwy, did not die but not moving, been dealership 3 times, computer showers no codes- talked corp- say not heard of it!! Made a case ##. Now after I see looking more on forums here---just wow---. And pick up did it 4th time today -very dangerous. Have had 7 tacomas- this is worst ever. The surging and shifting I just deal with, but lose power-- dangerous. What are we to do?? So many issues with the 2017 I see.
There is a recall for what you are having. http://www.tacomaforum.com/threads/2016-2017-toyota-tacoma-recalled-for-potential-stalling.5391/

Really- seriously--. Am going to lookup. Have been onthreads over a week, found some, and few said lowtransmission, supposedly dealer checked 3 times ago-- then on here some said loose battery box, never got answer yesterday if they did or not. Some owners post they don't know what's wrong, but I got no answer if they went to dealership.
Yep-- talked Texas several times, she says never heard of issue, as my dealership, they are looking at me like in my head. Going to be accident when stalls---. Going to look up that recall now. Thank you.
Did have recall on think rear end leaking, but they said mine was ok when took in.

Purchased my unicorn 2017 super white Tacoma TRD Off-road DCLB in February 2017. Yes, 1month ago. Took 2 months to find her and had 3 dealers looking for me. I didn't want to pre-order but I wanted it loaded, crawl control, roof rack, long bed, tonneau cover and had to be super white.
Almost right away I was noticing a delay in the reverse to drive and drive to reverse on cold start and noticed strange shifting patterns during driving.
Took it to the dealer with 300 miles on it and waited 6 hrs to have the latest and greatest TSB Rev1 completed and the transmission fluid checked. I don't notice the delay between reverse and drive much any more.
I'm still having strange shifting. It feels like it looses power when going up a hill then goes again. When I'm slowing down it feels like the brakes go out then come back or the transmission is downshifting with a delay and the brakes are lost for a second.
I have something else I'm now noticing.
I was driving home from work a few days ago and after coming to a complete stop it felt like the person behind me bumped my truck. I pulled over got out and checked my bumper. Nothing noted.
Today I had to drive somewhere and the street had lots of stop lights. I stopped at one and Again I thought the lady behind me hit my truck...I thought what the hell, pulled over, got out, nothing. Kept driving, stopped at the next light, I felt it again this time no one was behind me. I started to pay attention. After coming to a complete stop maybe 1 second later a clunk, jerk or bump happens and the truck feels like it's pushed forward.
I immediately drove into Toyota.
The service manager knew exactly what I was talking about. He said one of his mechanics has a 2016 that does the same thing. He said I was the third person in the last few weeks to come in for that issue. He said they would check the truck out and they did. 4 hrs later Rechecked the Transmission fluid, checked to make sure the TSB was current with the latest and greatest.
He told me sorry there is nothing more we can do at this time. They said they called corporate and started a case number for me and would get ahold of me as soon as they had further info.
I have been to the dealer 3 times now, Once for 6 hrs once for 4 hrs and once they kept it over night 2 days. 4 days of loving my truck lost. I have 600 miles on my truck. This is the first brand new vehicle I have ever purchased and was... WAS... so excited to own something no one else had owned. Something NEW! I really hope toyota figures out what is going on with my transmission. I don't want to give up on my unicorn Taco. "Tacorna" But... Im getting close!!!

I have the 2017 Tacoma V6 SR5. SAME EXACT issue. I've taking that piece of junk to the dealer 5 times now. I just got back from the dealer. They're trying to get me into a 2018 Tundra (it's sitting in my driveway now...literally right now). After driving the Tundra, its a nice truck, but I don't think I should have to drop another $10K+ into Toyota's pocket because their Tacomas now SUCK. I'm going to try filing a Lemon Law claim.

I have the 2017 Tacoma V6 SR5. SAME EXACT issue. I've taking that piece of junk to the dealer 5 times now. I just got back from the dealer. They're trying to get me into a 2018 Tundra (it's sitting in my driveway now...literally right now). After driving the Tundra, its a nice truck, but I don't think I should have to drop another $10K+ into Toyota's pocket because their Tacomas now SUCK. I'm going to try filing a Lemon Law claim.
Good luck. Hope it works out for you. Let us know if they give you a good deal.

TSB: REVISION NOTICE February 21, 2018 Rev2: ? Applicability has been updated to include 2015 ? 2017 model year Tacoma vehicles. ? The Parts Information and Repair Procedure sections have been updated. September 10, 2014 Rev1: ?

Back