2017 TRD Offroad Leaf Spring Squeaking

17Tacos

Has anyone else had this problem? Just seeking some advice. Took the truck offroad for the first time and it was awesome, however later I noticed that the truck was squeaking every time I got in the truck. As a result I pressure washed it and cleaned it out but it was still squeaking.

I took my brand new 2017 Taco with 2,500 miles to the dealer for the driver rear leaf springs squeaking and no dice. At first the dealer claimed that there was debris up in the pads and they cleaned it out, but after driving it home it was squeaking again.

Took it back to the dealer and they said that there was debris in the leaf spring again a day later. I didn't take it offroad or anything. Am I screwed here? Dealer doesn't want to replace the leaf spring. Pisses me off that this is a brand new truck and it is already squeaking.

Some of the guys have quieted the springs with nylon zip ties. They get 4 to 5 years before they wear through. Have to pry the leafs apart a little to slip in the zip tie, but it works. I just put Dakars on and when they start getting worse (mine are already starting) I'll try the zip ties.

You'll have to isolate and pinpoint where the squeak is coming from...that's the fun part I hear. You can read about it on TW.

Mine squeaked for the first month or two.... not since.

16' TRD OR DCLB Inferno

Interesting treatment at your dealer. My dealer showed me the TSB for my 2016. The solution, as I recall, was to lift the truck so the rear tires are off the ground and the leaf springs are fully dropped, then clean in between them with a dry rag.

Their explanation was that Toyota had done something that made the rear end quieter on road, but that any dirt in the leafs made it squeak. Nice, huh?

I've had this problem too... only owned my '17 Off Road for about 1 month now. Took it off road and it got pretty squeaky on the trail and driving back home. Next day I washed it pretty well especially underneath where the leaf springs are located with my hose and a solid stream of water and the squeaking has since stopped. Then again I wash my truck every week and hit those areas when I do wash it and I haven't heard any since. Hope this helps!

Leonlug

This is a problem that Toyota is aware of and are not willing to fix. I just got off the phone with the National hotline with whom I had created a case after 2 trips to the dealership yielded no results. They placed the truck on the lift and cleaned the springs while they were in full droop the first time and lubed them the second. After 4k miles and one off-road trip, the springs squeaked very loudly. My case manager told me "they are working on a fix" and "the leaf springs squeak bc of debris." No kidding. I told him there's a fix: replace the leaf springs. He said they wont bc they will only start squeaking again. To clarify I asked: "Toyota is knowingly selling 3rd gen Tacomas designed for off road use with leaf springs that squeak when the get dirt in them?" The answer was yes. Which is infuriating to say the least. Then he tried to but blame on me bc I have a camper shell "which adds weight and compounds the problem." Not sure what the next move would be besides replacing the leaf springs. I get the sense that bc this is not a mechanical failure that we will not see a solution in the near future.

I get the sense that bc this is not a mechanical failure that we will not see a solution in the near future.
You're probably right. But... the more people that complain and make cases on it the more likely they will do something.
Welcome to the forum.

Update: turns out it is actually the leafspring hangers. I wanna get toyota to come up with a real fix, not replacing the ****ty faulty part with a shiny new ****ty faulty part.

Interesting. I’ve had Toyota pickups, and Tacomas in first and third generation. Driven them hard off road in sand, dirt, silt, etc. and never had the squeaky noises you are talking about. Present Taco is a 2017 TRD Off Road with several hundred off road mils, and 35K on the odo; only noises are from the damn plastic dash.

Maybe it’s a mudder thing?

Back