2017 TRD Sport Level Kit and Tire Upgrade

Ajreed90

New to the site. I've had my truck for about 2 years and am just getting into the idea of upgrading its lift. I don't want to spend a whole helluva lot of money. I take my truck off-road about once a 5-6 times a month where ground clearance becomes important. I have heard that a leveling kit is a cheap way to get the necessary lift to mount a larger tire? It looks like stock is 265/65/17. I'm asking for recommendations because I am not a truck expert and would appreciate your help! Also open to the idea of other lift kits. I have gone through some of the threads on this site and got a bit of information overload.

Thanks,

Reed

Most of the leveling kits advertised are spacer lifts. You don’t want to go that route, especially if you’re gonna go off-road. With a spacer lift, it puts the spring in a more compressed state and the shock becomes to short. Going over simple things like speed bumps in a parking lot will cause the shock to try to extend past it’s ability. I had that on my ‘17 and could really tell on the slightest bumps. If you’re gonna spend the money to have someone take the springs and shocks apart for a spacer, spend the little extra and put Bilstein 5100s in there. The 3rd notch up will give you about 2” lift without making the ride horrible. The top notch will give you more lift, but be a rougher ride. The cheapest for the rear would be an add-a-leaf. That’s my 2 cents. Do your research and be sure you know what you’re getting into, before regretting a purchase because it was the cheapest. Good luck!

Thanks for all the welcoming!
You've convinced me away from the spacer leveling kit. After looking through some 5100 and AAL kits I've found a few options. Kits offered by headstrongoffroad, alldogsoffroad, and bilsteinlifts.

Do you need to replace the coils as well, or just the shocks? I also noticed some of the kits offer a spacer to reduce to "lean" that becomes more apparent after a lift.

Last edited:
Also, taken from a previous thread I found.

As far as tires and wheels here’s a list of the biggest:
With a 2.5-3” lift you can fit up to:
285/55/20 = 32.3x11.2”
285/60/19 = 32.5x11.2”
285/65/18 = 32.6x11.2”
285/70/17 = 32.7x11.2”
285/75/16 = 32.8x11.2”
Wheels I would go with a 8.5” wide and -6 offset
You might be able to go -12 offset but I know some have had issues with it rubbing more at that offset.

Any comments?

Reactions: JRE
I had 285/70/17 with -12 offset and it rubbed at full lock with an incline. -6 would be a better choice with that amount of lift. Also, a guy on TacomaWorld had emailed Bilstein asking about which coils to run with their shocks. Bilstein’s reply said that they are designed to be run with the OEM springs. Any other spring will void the warranty from Bilstein.

Headstrongoffroad has a lot of praise on this forum. If I was you I would call them. From what I understand from others on the forum. They answer every question they can.

Can someone explain the OFFSET (a -6 or -12 etc) to me like I am Six years Old?

I want these wheels:
24db6a0505f2b84ccc3c1264e951ef43.jpg

On my 2016 Black Tacoma 4WD Off Road - all stock
265/70 R16 on her now.

Going the NON SPACER method of life and doing the Bilstein 5100 and it's 2" life can I do:

The 17" as per the site:

https://www.trailbuiltoffroad.com/brands/wheels/Method/MR305

Looks like the 18" has a "-12" but the 17" is "0"

And then WHAT size Tire? 33" - can it fit w/o rubbing?

TIA folks and stay safe

Back