2017 Wouldn't start and brake stayed depressed...anyone else experience this?

WildlifeChick

Brand new truck. Less than 5,000 miles. I got in, pushed brake in, then pushed the start button. Nothing. Heard like a faint clicking noise like it was "thinking". Tried again. Nothing. Then the power came on but not the engine. Said to check brake system. Brake was still depressed. Then check engine light flashed. I gave it a minute then tried the button and it started. Kind of scary! Anyone else experience this?

it might have something to do with the starting sequence I don't have a 3rd gen but I don't press the brake pedal to start I have the auto trans, I would read the starting procedure as it is written in the owners manual to make sure that you haven't unknowingly interfered with starting of the truck somehow, the newer model vehicles these days are far more complicated than previous models.

To start the gen3 auto with push button start you need to have it in park, push the brake than push the start button. If you don't push the brake it will go into accessories mode. If you push the button and try to put it into gear to quick it will kill the engine.
I've got a 2017 and have not experienced that before. I have leaned to keep my phone camera ready for this truck because I've had it do some weird stuff and it's never done it again. Example but off topic:
My CD player wouldn't read discs for a day and kept saying searching... than check disc. Tried all my CD's none of them would work. Next morning I got my phone to take pictures of what it was doing and I was going to head to the dealer and it worked fine. Hasn't done it since.

To start the gen3 auto with push button start you need to have it in park, push the brake than push the start button. If you don't push the brake it will go into accessories mode. If you push the button and try to put it into gear to quick it will kill the engine.
I've got a 2017 and have not experienced that before. I have leaned to keep my phone camera ready for this truck because I've had it do some weird stuff and it's never done it again. Example but off topic:
My CD player wouldn't read discs for a day and kept saying searching... than check disc. Tried all my CD's none of them would work. Next morning I got my phone to take pictures of what it was doing and I was going to head to the dealer and it worked fine. Hasn't done it since.

Yeah:/ I read the manual when I first got it and was starting it like always. I had my phone ready and was getting kind of mad then when I hit video and the button, it started. Go figure. We'll see if it does it again when I go home. I hope not!!

Brand new truck. Less than 5,000 miles. I got in, pushed brake in, then pushed the start button. Nothing. Heard like a faint clicking noise like it was "thinking". Tried again. Nothing. Then the power came on but not the engine. Said to check brake system. Brake was still depressed. Then check engine light flashed. I gave it a minute then tried the button and it started. Kind of scary! Anyone else experience this?
If a check brake light and engine light came on it may have stored a code the dealer can check and see what happened. Make sure it's nothing serious. Let us know if you go and they find anything.

Yeah:/ I read the manual when I first got it and was starting it like always. I had my phone ready and was getting kind of mad then when I hit video and the button, it started. Go figure. We'll see if it does it again when I go home. I hope not!!
These trucks know when they are being recorded :eek:

If a check brake light and engine light came on it may have stored a code the dealer can check and see what happened. Make sure it's nothing serious. Let us know if you go and they find anything.

I didn't think about that! I have to take it for the recall but the parts aren't in yet.

My '17 Sport has died a couple times if I try to shift into gear too quick.
Let us know what you find out.

Last edited:
Back