2018 AC Smells/Issue

Bridgelord

Lately I’ve noticed my 2018 Tacoma has had a bad chemical smell coming out of the AC vents. It’s a chemical smell to me and I’ve had 2 other people say the same. Although at first it smelled like BO. I’ve checked under the hood for rodents, air filter, and cabin air filter. One other interesting detail, when driving on the highway with the air off the vents still blow unless I turn inside air on. Never though much of that before, but I wonder if it is relevant.... Any ideas of what to look for?

Update: I’ve noticed when the AC runs there is condensation on the vent flaps. I’ve started running the fan without the AC and it gets better but anytime the AC is on I still have the same smell.

To answer your question about air from the vents with the system off. Yes, with the outside air turned on and the fan off you will get airflow from the vents. If you switch to recirculate (Inside air), airflow stops. It's a way to get fresh air without opening your windows all the way.

I had water drip on passengers side and smelled like cat pee .I have a sunroof and in the front corners there is a 3/8 hole that is the drain tube for the sunroof area it gets clogged. The water then finds a way in and soaks into the rug.had borrowed an ionizer machine and ran it for the weekend .Sure'nuf got rid of the smell and change the cabin filter in the glove compartment .which u never have put a pair of gloves in . Man I really miss vent windows .good luck

Hi B-man how u doin'? I'm getting ready for work .we are slammed .2 whole house guts and remodels and 1 new 1.3 million house on the water in Brewster.nice town

Last edited:
Lately I’ve noticed my 2018 Tacoma has had a bad chemical smell coming out of the AC vents. It’s a chemical smell to me and I’ve had 2 other people say the same. Although at first it smelled like BO. I’ve checked under the hood for rodents, air filter, and cabin air filter. One other interesting detail, when driving on the highway with the air off the vents still blow unless I turn inside air on. Never though much of that before, but I wonder if it is relevant.... Any ideas of what to look for?

As Scott said, on just about any car. The outside air is drawn in from the vents just below your windshield wipers. So when you have the Recirculate air option "off" there is a flap that then moves to those vents. So really it is just air being forced through the system as you travel at highway speeds. Whats funny is I have always known this but never thought of it like Scott said it. I thought it was just physics while Scott makes it seem like a convenience option intentionally placed there by the factory. :D Food for thought

I only got a 1.5 yrs to retire at 59.5 .I'm just counting 'em !
At 25 Im a bit behind you :D:D:D:D

All the older guys... CRAP I mean *experienced* guys at work (they threaten me every time I do that :p) call me a LIFER. Cause I aint going anywhere!

The city here has whats called rule of 80 so when my age and years of service add to that I can pull out... BUTTTT it runs in the family that I will probably be there LONGG after that XD

One thing u can do now is travel and do the cool vacations while ur younger .we bike alot and hike alot but wished we started hiking 15 years ago before I needed new knees .but we're still doing it . and I love going to all the cool hiking places all over this awesome country .I still kick my 30 yr old nephews butts in the woods when we go biking so I don't feel to old yet .lmao:)

At 25 Im a bit behind you :D:D:D:D

All the older guys... CRAP I mean *experienced* guys at work (they threaten me every time I do that :p) call me a LIFER. Cause I aint going anywhere!

The city here has whats called rule of 80 so when my age and years of service add to that I can pull out... BUTTTT it runs in the family that I will probably be there LONGG after that XD
I have about 6 years before I hit the rule of 80 then I'm OUT! I'll get something part time just to get me out of the house now and then.

Back