2018 SR5 Front Brakes Appreciation Post

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by LuhDew, Dec 4, 2020.

1. LuhDew

LuhDew Member

I just wanna step in here and say how much MORE I fell in love with the 'ol Taco this past weekend... Got everything ready to do the front brake pads. As a DIY mechanic that has worked on nothing but late model fords... I expected hell... Whether it be the pistons not pressing back in... the lug nuts being made out of soda cans... or the nuts on the caliper mating together with said caliper and becoming one metal blob..... I WAS READY..

Well... fellas, now I am just shooketh.

I used 1 socket, a pair of needle nose pliers and a flat head screwdriver... and it took me 5 DAMN MINUTES!!! :eek::eek::eek:

-Removed the two springs that were primed and ready to fly off at terminal velocity.
    -Took out the two retaining pins
    -Slid those suckers out and replaced them like changing tapes in the vcr back in the day.

As a guy that hates stuff being complicated but enjoys the challenge... this simplicity both shocked me and pissed me off a tiny bit :rolleyes::D:p I had hours planned out and instead I just sat there and stared at how SIMPLE things are under the fenders of that truck...

ANYWAYS,

If you took the time to read this then thanks ;):)

Hope yall have a great weekend! I am going to go look for things to buy and replace since nothing will ever break on this damn thing :p:p:p

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Scott Wyman

Scott Wyman Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear it was so simple and uneventful. I hope when I do my front pads I have the same results.

LuhDew and B-Man like this.
  4. tacojoel

tacojoel Well-Known Member

Changing brake pads on my 2001 tundra was a piece of cake to. Not so much trying to pull those rotors off after 15 years.:(

Scott Wyman, LuhDew and B-Man like this.
  5. Scott Wyman

Yikes! 15 years?!? I always pull the drums when I change front pads, just to have a look.

B-Man likes this.
  6. tacojoel

tacojoel Well-Known Member

Rear Drums were never any issue...they have the threaded holes you can thread in bolts to push them off. Not so much for the front rotors. I tried everything short of a nuclear blast. Finally resorted to a 20 lb. sledge hammer to wail on them.

Scott Wyman and B-Man like this.
  7. Scott Wyman

Dang man! That's what we used on tank breaks in the motorpool!

B-Man likes this.