2018 Taco with Aftermarket Stereo

vwgtiturbo

Just wondering... Is there a goat rope involved when swapping the stock Entune head unit on a new Taco with an aftermarket stereo? I had a co worker with a mid '00s GM car that had to do some crazy business to get an aftermarket stereo to work, due to how it was tied into the car (don't recall the details, but was an involved process...).

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Should just be pull the unit and use a wire harness adaptor to connect the new one to the OEM plugs.
Awesome, thanks. The co-worker I referenced had to get some kind of box to simulate some function that used the stereo as a passthrough for something... Without it, the computer went wonky... Hell, I don't know what the deal was. Just wanted to make sure Tacos didn't suffer the same fate.

Awesome, thanks. The co-worker I referenced had to get some kind of box to simulate some function that used the stereo as a passthrough for something... Without it, the computer went wonky... Hell, I don't know what the deal was. Just wanted to make sure Tacos didn't suffer the same fate.
That would suck.

An idata Mastro or Crux interface will make things easy if you have advanced functions such as the steering wheel controls but is required if you have the JBL system. GM vehicles run quite a bit through the OEM stereo which is why more stuff is needed.

An idata Mastro or Crux interface will make things easy if you have advanced functions such as the steering wheel controls but is required if you have the JBL system. GM vehicles run quite a bit through the OEM stereo which is why more stuff is needed.
Thanks for that info @whippersnapper02. If the co-worker still worked at my location, I could've gotten more info (so the original question wasn't so vague) LOL.

I just remember that it was a real pain (that I gladly would engage in if necessary), but wanted to know what I was getting myself into, considering my low-tech '05 was such an easy breezy ordeal.

WhipperSnapper is right. If you have the steering controls or the JBL system, you will need either the Maetro or PAC unit to get that to work properly.

Thanks for that info @whippersnapper02. If the co-worker still worked at my location, I could've gotten more info (so the original question wasn't so vague) LOL.

I just remember that it was a real pain (that I gladly would engage in if necessary), but wanted to know what I was getting myself into, considering my low-tech '05 was such an easy breezy ordeal.

The only wiring needed is the aftermarket stereo to the interface which is a game of matching colors (red to red, yellow to yellow, black to black, ect.). The rest is plug and play. The interfaces provide VSS and reverse signals. You're lucky because none of this was available when I installed my head unit. I only had the JBL interface but I had to pull wire for VSS, reverse signal and steering wheel control.

The only wiring needed is the aftermarket stereo to the interface which is a game of matching colors (red to red, yellow to yellow, black to black, ect.). The rest is plug and play. The interfaces provide VSS and reverse signals. You're lucky because none of this was available when I installed my head unit. I only had the JBL interface but I had to pull wire for VSS, reverse signal and steering wheel control.

That is nice, to not have to do it for those functions. I am expecting to pull quite a bit of wire already, to integrate both amps into the stock speaker wiring :) Wire and solder = good times!

Back