2018 Tacoma engine noise!! Annoying

People will be saying the same thing about the third gen 10 years from now.

“Why I’d never buy a 4th gen can’t beat the reliability of the 3.5L’s.... except those 2016’s, those 16’s where junk.”
Haha

Exactly. I remember when the gen twos came out. Every body was sure they wouldn’t match the gen one’s quality.
I even went and bought one of the last 4x4 gen ones left that I could find because I wanted to stay away from the new gen two Tacoma.
I have no regrets with my gen three. I do wish they still had the 4.0 liter but the 3.5 is fine.

People will be saying the same thing about the third gen 10 years from now.

“Why I’d never buy a 4th gen can’t beat the reliability of the 3.5L’s.... except those 2016’s, those 16’s where junk.”
Haha
Your exactly right. I might have a 3rd gen someday hell idk.. The 3.5 will be just fine hardly junk.

1995 they came out with the Tacoma 3.4L and the 2.4l but you could still get a 1995 Toyota pickup with a 22re or the V6 3.0l. Last year of the 22re. In 2005 they changed it up made the 4.0 and the second gen Tacoma was born.

Reactions: 4wd
The '05 didn't have a 4.0 ?

Problem with the 05’s they had one problem. One very big expensive problem...

Head gasket failure and loss of compression (usually cylinder 6). I witnessed this on my friends 05 taco last month, and she only has 150k on her 4.0l. I would never buy an 05 and I pity anyone on this forum who owns one.

1995 they came out with the Tacoma 3.4L and the 2.4l but you could still get a 1995 Toyota pickup with a 22re or the V6 3.0l. Last year of the 22re. In 2005 they changed it up made the 4.0 and the second gen Tacoma was born.

Make that 1995.5 , Toyota picked up a nasty habit from Ford,,,,mid-year model changes/system changes...;)

Problem with the 05’s they had one problem. One very big expensive problem...

Head gasket failure and loss of compression (usually cylinder 6). I witnessed this on my friends 05 taco last month, and she only has 150k on her 4.0l. I would never buy an 05 and I pity anyone on this forum who owns one.

That sounds more like the 3.0's issues , that & over heating to a point that Toyota was replacing 6cyl 3.0's well after the model year was out of production, my buddy had a 4runner he bought used
& even he got the recall approval for a new crate motor from them,, & again, this was when Toyota was still considered an import (because it was )

But I did not know the 4.0 was plagued as well, except motor mounts (actually it was only 1 side IIRC )

That sounds more like the 3.0's issues , that & over heating to a point that Toyota was replacing 6cyl 3.0's well after the model year was out of production, my buddy had a 4runner he bought used
& even he got the recall approval for a new crate motor from them,, & again, this was when Toyota was still considered an import (because it was )

But I did not know the 4.0 was plagued as well, except motor mounts (actually it was only 1 side IIRC )

Yeah look it up man, it’s a big issue. Exact same problem has happened to most owners of the 05 4.0l taco owners. Ever wonder why 05 tacos are generally cheaper than most other years?

Yeah look it up man, it’s a big issue. Exact same problem has happened to most owners of the 05 4.0l taco owners. Ever wonder why 05 tacos are generally cheaper than most other years?

No , 2004 is my cut off point for 'yota purchases, but that is interesting to know, all I heard about was a motor mount issue with 05/06 models....

Those 3.0L is why I never bought a V6 toyota until 2017 haha. I had zero faith toyota could make a good V6. Time will tell.

Those 3.0L is why I never bought a V6 toyota until 2017 haha. I had zero faith toyota could make a good V6. Time will tell.

I never had any problems out of my 4.0 liters. I know what you’re saying though. I always liked the 2.7 in a regular cab. Slow and weak but dependable.

I never had any problems out of my 4.0 liters. I know what you’re saying though. I always liked the 2.7 in a regular cab. Slow and weak but dependable.

Well you have to understand that the 05 was the first gen with the 4.0l so it had issues like the head gasket problem. Obviously this was fixed in the later 4.0l models. Take it from me, I have an 08 with 240k and drive it very hard, and she runs like new.

Yeah. I’m always apprehensive to buy any first year model of a vehicle. My first gen two was an ‘09.
That’s why I waited on this tacoma. Reading the forums worried me. I should have waited until 2018. I thought it would be ok. It’s been a ride haha. I bought my 2007 Tundra and it was the first year of a new motor and body. It ended up being a great truck. That 5.7L is a pretty solid engine.
The one thing I can say is the 3.5l has not been the problem with these new tacos. It’s been the rest of the drive train and like with any new system the bugs need to be worked out. I’m curious to see how many 2018 owner complain. So far it’s hasnt been many.

That’s why I waited on this tacoma. Reading the forums worried me. I should have waited until 2018. I thought it would be ok. It’s been a ride haha. I bought my 2007 Tundra and it was the first year of a new motor and body. It ended up being a great truck. That 5.7L is a pretty solid engine.
The one thing I can say is the 3.5l has not been the problem with these new tacos. It’s been the rest of the drive train and like with any new system the bugs need to be worked out. I’m curious to see how many 2018 owner complain. So far it’s hasnt been many.

Surprisingly there really hasn’t been many complaints about them on anything I’ve read. Nothing compared to the ‘16 and ‘17 models.

A well tuned 22R can stay with the 3.0, Having /Driving with the 3.4 for about 12 years I can say it's rock solid in reliability & it's not going to bleed you dry mileage wise but it does like to drink tho'...

Back