2018 Tacoma safety sensor =No lift??

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by J.R., Nov 12, 2017 at 6:03 PM.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

So went to sign the paperwork on my 2018 off-road yesterday. I was told by the dealership that they cannot do any lifts or levelling kits on the new Tacoma because of the safety sensors in the bumpers (for lane departure and that crap that I don’t care about). They said that Toyota in general is trying to find a workaround at the moment.

Someone didn’t think this through, but if that’s the case I’ll be getting them to disable the safety sensor system. Bullshit. I’m so annoyed.

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

That sucks. I was told that last month and posted it here:
    http://www.tacomaforum.com/threads/2018-tacoma-with-tss-p.5544/page-2

4. OP
    J.R.

J.R. Member

5. OR17TRD

Sorry man. I tried.

Bogunn likes this.
  6. OR17TRD

You could still put 265/75/16 tires on it and get 1” that way. These trucks are very capable at stock height as well.
    Just trying to make you feel better. :oops:

joefsncz and Bogunn like this.
  7. OP
    J.R.

J.R. Member

I’m thinking that’s probably what I’ll do till there’s eventually a work around. I wanted to do the 3 inches and 285/75r/16’s :(

joefsncz likes this.
  8. OR17TRD

So they wouldn’t let you swap it out for a 2017?

9. OR17TRD

I give it less than 6 months and there will be hacks and mods to get around all of it. We are talking about Tacoma owners here.

Crawdad and J.R. like this.
  10. OR17TRD

Them stating no modification should be done on the Tacoma is like Michael Phelps without a pool, slash without a guitar, United States without the 2nd amendment it’s unconstitutional.

Crawdad, kp.taco and J.R. like this.
  11. OP
    J.R.

J.R. Member

I agree completely. I’ve had all my mods planned for like 2 months now lol. Such dissapointnent.

12. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

I’m sure you can mod it. Just disable all that safety garbage.

J.R. likes this.
  13. OR17TRD

Toyota is hoping people do so they can decline warranty work easier. If they say don’t modify this vehicle at all due to safety sensors and computer crap. You now take full responsibility of any malfunction of all systems that where effected by the modifications. Who knows how these new systems are connected.

14. OR17TRD

I suppose you could just start doing it and hope for the best. See what happens and let us know.

15. OP
    J.R.

J.R. Member

Found the rims I wanted and 265/75r/16 tires on stock height. I think it’ll be ok.

Attached Files:

TacoGal likes this.
  16. OR17TRD

You’ll be fine.

17. I’ve seen others bump to 285, but you’ll have to heat gun the front plastic and possibly grind the metal on the back of he wells. It gets a little sketch. Haven’t tried it myself, just watch a guy on YouTube do it. Good luck

18. OR17TRD

285/75/16 will not fit without a lift and aftermarket wheels or wheel spacers. If you can not lift the 2018 because of TSS-P at this point the larger tire you can run is 265/75/16. Please don’t try and stuff 285/75/16 on a new stock Tacoma. Don’t hack up your new truck.

19. OP
    J.R.

J.R. Member

I didn’t plan on it. I’ll bite the bullet and pay the money when the time comes lol, and hopefully the 265’s have enough tread life to sell.