2018 trd sport drivetrain is issue

glynch23

The issue of going through the gears and it shudderring like it starving for fuel or something with drivetrain not sure but it is driving me crazy. It drives good as long as etc button is on but once I turn it off or pull something with the truck it goes to driving like a tin can. Took it back to Toyota they rest the adaptive learning in the tranny and run diagnostics they said Toyota said it was normal but the two techs that rode with me both said they felt something. So my question is wth to do?

Welcome to the forum. I don’t know how many miles you have on your truck. My third gen seems to have straightened out the more miles that have been put on it after the ECU “learns” your driving style.

I have 8k on mine. I know what you’re talking about. I honestly just drove mine a little harder when it was like that. Not abusing it, but not afraid to put my foot in the peddle either. It gets better.
Between that and maybe me becoming more used to it I really don’t even see it as an issue anymore.

Thanks for the info I believe my issue is idk how to drive it when it acts like that bc I was scared for the issue to get worse but now I see I’m just going to have to put a little foot in it to see if it gets better.

Thanks for the info I believe my issue is idk how to drive it when it acts like that bc I was scared for the issue to get worse but now I see I’m just going to have to put a little foot in it to see if it gets better.
It’s under warranty for the next 3 years. Keep taking it in if you need to and call corporate and let them know you’re not happy.

That’s what I’ll have to do I hope it gets fixed there’s a lot I want to do to this truck but not if it is gonna run like a turd sandwich. Other than this issue I really love the truck

That’s what I’ll have to do I hope it gets fixed there’s a lot I want to do to this truck but not if it is gonna run like a turd sandwich. Other than this issue I really love the truck
Me too. I love my truck, the look of it, the technology in it, the engine has enough power for my needs, the bed size (DCLB), it’s ability Off-road but the shuttering under load, frequent shifting, rear Diff still leaking, the ass hole wrap (bump after stopping), the 9 times I’ve had it in the service dept. for work and fixes, the month that I havent had my truck in my possession in the last year and the drivers seat make it hard to want to keep.

Anyone want to buy my truck? Haha

Me too. I love my truck, the look of it, the technology in it, the engine has enough power for my needs, the bed size (DCLB), it’s ability Off-road but the shuttering under load, frequent shifting, rear Diff still leaking, the ass hole wrap (bump after stopping), the 9 times I’ve had it in the service dept. for work and fixes, the month that I havent had my truck in my possession in the last year and the drivers seat make it hard to want to keep.

Anyone want to buy my truck? Haha

Oh hell no. I come up with any other problems I’m out. Have they fixed any of the issues. I’m wondering why I paid for that extra warranty now.

Oh hell no. I come up with any other problems I’m out. Have they fixed any of the issues. I’m wondering why I paid for that extra warranty now.
They fixed the needle bearing vibration, replaced the entire front axel, did the TSB’s on the transmission for the hard shift from reverse to drive, which was suppose to fix the shifting and cruise control but didn’t. They came out with another TSB for the transmission and that seemed to help some with the frequent shifting but now it holds gears going up the mountain. It will be on 3rd gear at 70mph 4800 RPMs for miles. I just watch my MPG drop. They fixed the rear diff under warranty mine wasn’t part of the recal. It’s leaking again. They said keep an eye on it. All the other stuff they say is “normal” and aren’t doing anything at this time.

They fixed the needle bearing vibration, replaced the entire front axel, did the TSB’s on the transmission for the hard shift from reverse to drive, which was suppose to fix the shifting and cruise control but didn’t. They came out with another TSB for the transmission and that seemed to help some with the frequent shifting but now it holds gears going up the mountain. It will be on 3rd gear at 70mph 4800 RPMs for miles. I just watch my MPG drop. They fixed the rear diff under warranty mine wasn’t part of the recal. It’s leaking again. They said keep an eye on it. All the other stuff they say is “normal” and aren’t doing anything at this time.

I pulled a trailer down the interstate for 2 miles and it felt like the truck was going to vibrate apart and the shuttering going up through the gears is killing me. I’m gonna stay on it with Toyota to fix it or I’m filing a lemon law claim.

I pulled a trailer down the interstate for 2 miles and it felt like the truck was going to vibrate apart and the shuttering going up through the gears is killing me. I’m gonna stay on it with Toyota to fix it or I’m filing a lemon law claim.
Let us know if they figure something out. Ive been dealing with issues for over a year now purhased in February 2017. I have an 8yr 125k mile platinum warranty on it. I was planning on keeping it at least until that runs out. I’ve put thousands of $$$ in extras into it that I wasn’t planning on getting back because I wanted to keep it until it stopped running but if it keeps being a headache and more trouble then it’s worth I’ll walk way and cut my loses.

Let us know if they figure something out. Ive been dealing with issues for over a year now purhased in February 2017. I have an 8yr 125k mile platinum warranty on it. I was planning on keeping it at least until that runs out. I’ve put thousands of $$$ in extras into it that I wasn’t planning on getting back because I wanted to keep it until it stopped running but if it keeps being a headache and more trouble then it’s worth I’ll walk way and cut my loses.

Will do it either between Toyota a lawyer or a huge freakin tree one way something will be done.

[emoji33] Quitter??

Will do it either between Toyota a lawyer or a huge freakin tree one way something will be done.

Give it a chance. Run it without ECT for a while and put your foot in the pedal when it does that. It’s under warranty.

Give it a chance. Run it without ECT for a while and put your foot in the pedal when it does that. It’s under warranty.

Part of the issue I’m having is my buddy has the same truck as me year and all mine has 1500 miles his about 8000 and his does non of what this one does.

Part of the issue I’m having is my buddy has the same truck as me year and all mine has 1500 miles his about 8000 and his does non of what this one does.

I don’t know buddy. Mine has 8k and doesn’t either. Run it a while. If it jacks up Toyota has to fix it.

Back