2018 V6 coolant seeping

Joisey

Did my weekly fluid check and find there is a bit of dried coolant on the reservoir end of the radiator overflow hose. I measure the hose and it is .513 in diameter more or less.

At the hardware store I found some flat steel spring hose clamps for small hose. I bought two for hose that is from 7/16 to 9/16 OD. When the truck was cool I pulled the hose off of the reservoir end and using a pair of vise grips to expand the hose clamp, slid one along the hose to the radiator end. The clamp fit well, with about an additional 1/32 of an inch compression available. I did the same to the reservoir end. After more than one week, no more coolant seepage.

I turned the ears on the clamp downward away from the radiator cap because I am sure if I did not, I would slice my finger open at some later date when I replaced the radiator cap or filled the coolant system.

Something to look for on the newer trucks. I guess Toyota saved 4 cents on each truck leaving two clamps off.

I just looked at mine today, not leaking yet but I will be getting a couple of clamps for it. Nice catch.

Back