2020 Tacoma owner.

Connie

I started to look in the owners manual and I guess I'm getting old! I gave up. Often times when I wash my truck it starts beeping until I open a door and close it. Any help much appreciated. And lastly unless they correct it will be my last one. Really can't use the cruise control because the smallest of a slight hill it just struggles and then up to 4000 rpms and stays there for some time until it levels out. Just erratic shifting I swear sometimes it automatically just shuts off. No power at all. Had a 2015 limited wished I would have kept it because never had a problem with it. I knew about the shifting change but never thought it would be this horrible. Sorry for the rant. Wonder if there are adjustments out there. Should have listened to the reviews.

Leave your key fob in the house when you wash the truck. The slightest pressure from even a water hose, if sprayed on the door handle, will lock the doors. Then when you try to wash that area, it’ll beep and raise hell again. On the cruise- I have no answer but I bet it lies in the programming. That’s why you’ll see a lot of posts here regarding a pedal commander or shift commander module.

I have a 2018 with the key fob and I never have an issue in the car wash. My shift points are more conservative than the 4runner we have, but if you put an extra toe of effort into the pedal the Taco completely changes in a heartbeat.

TBH it's pretty amazing, I drive a 2017 4runner TRD off road and a 2018 TRD off road Tacoma pretty much everyday. I can tell you that the Tacoma with the 3.5 and 6spd is more athletic and efficient, just maybe 5% less torque when your crawling at 3mph

You just need to learn to appreciate the 3rd gen Tacoma. It's just as solid as an old school truck, but very intelligently designed/executed, all while maintaining the same level of quality as the 100% made in Japan 4runner. Maybe even better than the 4runner TBH when I take a close look at the welds etc.

Last edited:
Welcome .Manually shift it in s- mode and run it in the ECT mode . you do have to poke the ECT button after u stop and shut off each time but its no problem .Way more fun and in S-mode leave it in 5th on the highway 6 gear sucks I never use it and gas mileage is within a tenth of a mile per gallon . Around town I drive in S-mode but only shift it til 4 th gear it will whine a little but my gas mileage stays the same. It won't lug down and feel lazy .I get around 19.8 on the highway in my '16 . I to hate the way it hunts for the right gear ! Drive it like u stole it then you'll get a better feel for the way it shifts . Mine just turned 35 k got it when it had 19 k . I love my truck ! 20181229_122721_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I started to look in the owners manual and I guess I'm getting old! I gave up. Often times when I wash my truck it starts beeping until I open a door and close it. Any help much appreciated. And lastly unless they correct it will be my last one. Really can't use the cruise control because the smallest of a slight hill it just struggles and then up to 4000 rpms and stays there for some time until it levels out. Just erratic shifting I swear sometimes it automatically just shuts off. No power at all. Had a 2015 limited wished I would have kept it because never had a problem with it. I knew about the shifting change but never thought it would be this horrible. Sorry for the rant. Wonder if there are adjustments out there. Should have listened to the reviews.
They should have stayed with a 5 speed instead of 6 .my '03 tundra v8 had a 4 speed auto and it was find for shifting it just was a little thirsty but it had balls especially after I put 3 inch cat back on it .

Back