2nd/3rd gear question 17 Tacoma

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by warakesTaco, Feb 4, 2019.

1. warakesTaco

warakesTaco Well-Known Member

This might be a stupid question but for some reason every morning when I start driving and it’s in 2nd gear and about to go into 3rd it revs up like I punched the gas but I’m driving normal. Only does this in the morning on my to work and doesn’t do it again until the next morning. Has this happened to any of u? Fearing it’s a trans issue but not sure.

texasred and Bogunn like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

I’ve noticed it on my turd gen when it’s cold out.
    You can always take it in for a check under warranty work.
    I swear every Toyota I’ve ever had (which is a bunch) seems to stick 2nd/3rd intermittently. I’ve noticed it for years.

Tacomania, arm76, warakesTaco and 2 others like this.
  4. TucsonSteve

TucsonSteve Well-Known Member

Sounds like it could be low on fluid, and not shifting right until the fluid heats up and exspands a bit.

5. OP
    warakesTaco

warakesTaco Well-Known Member

Trans fluid?

texasred likes this.
  6. TucsonSteve

TucsonSteve Well-Known Member

Yes

7. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Agreed

B-Man, Bogunn and texasred like this.
  8. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Hopefully it’s that easy. Seems like it would be in all gears/first gear if fluid is low.
    Should definitely be the first check though.

B-Man, Bojangles and texasred like this.
  9. Bojangles

Good point.... Autos are an enigma
    The trans should be holding gears longer when the trucks cold in order to warm up faster, why there is a flare I don't know.

I get a flare from 4th to 5th sometimes.... When it becomes more consistent, I remove the negative battery terminal for atleast half an hour to reset the tcu (in reality I try and leave it overnight). Then when I reconnect and go for a drive, things feel crisper.

Both gens have been factory underfilled tho, so who knows

Bogunn, B-Man and texasred like this.
  10. texasred

texasred Well-Known Member

My two cents....what’s the gear ratio split compared to others. Torque converter or pump not able to keep up? It’s not like manufacturers “over engineer” much nowadays.

Bogunn, B-Man and Bojangles like this.
  11. Bojangles

Yeah, this isn't a Poopra. Those were def overbuilt

B-Man and texasred like this.
  12. texasred

Fair enough...but the ratio difference? Prob’ly wrong but it was a thought.

B-Man likes this.
  13. Bojangles

Dunno.... I just know the poopras can handle gobs of power, and u are right about things not being built the same anymore. There's no pride, it's all about profit.

B-Man and texasred like this.
  14. texasred

Ummm.....Poopra? (Supra?)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Bojangles and B-Man like this.
  15. texasred

Supra’s have gobs of power but close gear ratios for that ricerboy acceleration. (They ARE a wicked fast!) But I’ll stick with my original question.

B-Man likes this.