2nd gen frame rot

Discussion in '2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma' started by Mag liter, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Mag liter

Mag liter Member

I went under my truck today to look at a few things before changing my clutch out and was sorely disappointed with how badly the frame is rusting already on my 09, i almost do not feel safe driving the truck anymore as the rust i could see was pretty bad and there were spots i could not inspect but it does leave me wondering. The main spot im concerned about is going to become a 1-3 inch hole in the next year i would say. Im hoping for a frame replacement im disgusted with how bad it is flaking away. My moms 2008 chevy suburban has absolutley no penetrating rust and my 09 taco almost has holes in the frame. Everywhere they have metal "sandwiched" or riveted together is distorting due to all the rust between the metal pieces IMG_6994.JPG IMG_6994.JPG IMG_6993.JPG

OR17TRD and Bogunn like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Man. That’s pretty bad. I hate that. Hopefully they’ll replace it.

4. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

+1

5. OP
    Mag liter

Mag liter Member

I went to the dealer today, i figured out a good friends mom is the service advisor so i should be taken care of very well

OR17TRD likes this.
  6. OP
    Mag liter

Mag liter Member

I have to wait a few weeks for their inspection though

OR17TRD likes this.
  7. OP
    Mag liter

Mag liter Member

As i was walking into Walmart after work today i couldn't help but notice a rather clean looking 2nd gen taco regular cab and i parked next to him; I quickly peered into the rear wheel wells as i walked past and within moments saw a few small holes clear through the frame. I think This frame rot problem is much worse than Toyota admits at least on our 2nd gens: if you or anyone you know has a 2nd gen tacoma i strongly urge you to check your frames out the spots i have rotted out are drivers side frame on the inside channel under the rear access door, and passenger side all along where the exhaust runs; the truck i saw rotted through today was right where the frame turns upwords a foot to the rear of the front leaf spring mount.

Bogunn likes this.
  8. OR17TRD

Did you leave him a note on the window like a creeper haha

Bogunn likes this.
  9. OP
    Mag liter

Mag liter Member

Beechmont toyota just called me back at 10:00 this am and said that i qualify for a frame replacement and that parts are on order. I am pretty ecstatic now

Stunt Man, OR17TRD and kp.taco like this.
  10. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Awesome..

11. OP
    Mag liter

Mag liter Member

My truck just went into the dealership today, they said it should be done next Friday. Will post pictures of the new frame before i fluid film it

OR17TRD and kp.taco like this.
  12. OP
    Mag liter

Mag liter Member

It's all done and over with, no issues so far after the frame installation. It's purdy underneath. Will take some pictures and post them

13. Will Evans

Will Evans Active Member

Wow that was quick. I wonder if it had to do with your good friends mother being the service coordinator. LOL. I got my 06 inspected and they told me they had ordered the parts but they have no idea when they can replace it. It's already been 4 months since my inspection.

14. OP
    Mag liter

Mag liter Member

After inspecting my truck, you get all new brake lines, lower control arms, and a lot of bolts are replaced with new. Also my front cab mounts are new. IMG_0014.jpg IMG_0011.jpg IMG_0012.jpg

Bogunn and OR17TRD like this.
  15. OR17TRD

You may need to bark more and bite of you have to.