2nd gen vs 3rd gen

taco John

Just curious what gen Tacoma's do you guys prefer? Which one do you think is better and has overall more value?

Me personally I'm 2nd gens all the way, but I've never drove a 3rd gen.

A buddy of mine just took delivery of his 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro an hour ago. He is taking it on a trip from Santa Maria to San Francisco and back this weekend. I will find out how he likes it when he gets back. As for me, I have a 2015 Tacoma TRD Sport, and I wouldn't trade it for nothing. I like the fact that I have the last year for the 4.0 power train, and I have checked with local car dealers, and they all offered me more for trade in than I paid for it. I think all Tacomas are in a rare market right now, where they are in such demand that the price holds. My buddy could not get the dealer to drop the price even a dime, and that is with him paying cash for his new Taco. They gave him $20,100 for his 2008 Tacoma off road that had 89,00 miles on it, and when he went today to pick up his new truck, they had it for sale on the lot asking $25,000. I can't wait to talk to him when he gets back to see how he liked it.

A buddy of mine just took delivery of his 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro an hour ago. He is taking it on a trip from Santa Maria to San Francisco and back this weekend. I will find out how he likes it when he gets back. As for me, I have a 2015 Tacoma TRD Sport, and I wouldn't trade it for nothing. I like the fact that I have the last year for the 4.0 power train, and I have checked with local car dealers, and they all offered me more for trade in than I paid for it. I think all Tacomas are in a rare market right now, where they are in such demand that the price holds. My buddy could not get the dealer to drop the price even a dime, and that is with him paying cash for his new Taco. They gave him $20,100 for his 2008 Tacoma off road that had 89,00 miles on it, and when he went today to pick up his new truck, they had it for sale on the lot asking $25,000. I can't wait to talk to him when he gets back to see how he liked it.
20g's for an 08?? No way! I have an 08 taco but it has 180'000 miles on it.

I wouldn't buy a third gen just because I hate the way the grill and headlights look

The new ones aren't as powerful. But they have a higher HP rating. Second generation beats third generation in acceleration.

Had a 2011 TRD Sport Prerunner and absolutely loved it. But moved to Minn.from AZ and needed (wanted) a 4x4 so got a 2016 TRD Sport . I had the tranny problem at first, but when the TSB came out in July, it's been no problem at all. I get better mileage with the 2016. My wife loves the heated seats and dual zone temp control. I have no complaints on the 2016.

I got friends that drive :
Audi got problems.
Land Rover got problem.
IBM got problems.
And I can say few more brands...
Myself I did drive Toyota for many years 4Runner RAV4 Tundras Tacomas and I did drive 2 gen and now I got 2016 Tacoma Trd off road
Yes I got the transmission problem but the last update fix all that.. not matter what you buy this days is risky but a list Toyota step on the cars they sell and I'm happy with my buy!!!
I did aventure with a Jeep gran Cherokee for my wife 6 months latter 16 recalls she drive Lexus NX 200 t now!!! She love it ... is a Toyota soul!!!
Happy New Years for every one!! ✌

I got friends that drive :
Audi got problems.
Land Rover got problem.
IBM got problems.
And I can say few more brands...
Myself I did drive Toyota for many years 4Runner RAV4 Tundras Tacomas and I did drive 2 gen and now I got 2016 Tacoma Trd off road
Yes I got the transmission problem but the last update fix all that.. not matter what you buy this days is risky but a list Toyota step on the cars they sell and I'm happy with my buy!!!
I did aventure with a Jeep gran Cherokee for my wife 6 months latter 16 recalls she drive Lexus NX 200 t now!!! She love it ... is a Toyota soul!!!
Happy New Years for every one!! ✌
Thanks alot Happy new year

The 2013 has the better gas mileage at the moment due to the higher mileage on it. The 2016 does " rev" lower at the same highway speed.

3rd gens have good gas mileage from what I hear? Correct me if I'm wrong.
My mileage is better in my 2016 than my 2011. i've taken two long trips in my '16. 4200 miles and 1500 mile round trips. Freeway, highway and city driving averaged 21.5 on both trips.
Never got that good in my 2011.

Back