2nd generation Tacoma rust issue

lovemytaco35

I tried to do research on this topic since my 2015 Tacoma is showing lots of rust on the frame. I didn’t find much, but one article I did see was that Toyota basically carried over the same frame design from the first generation. But that design was a nightmare for Tacoma owners, and I’m sure for Toyota as well. Does anyone know this to be fact. From what I’ve read, the poor frame design allows moisture to get inside the frame, rotting it from the inside out. My truck qualifies for the sealant to be applied, but here in CT, Toyota hasn’t begun the process yet. No dealerships have had the training to do it. Has anyone had this application done, and do you know if they are able to get it up inside the frame also? Because if not, and it’s rotting from the inside out, I don’t see how spraying the outside is going to do a lot of good.

It will help. I had a 1996 Tacoma and just this September I gave it to my brother and purchased a new one. The frame was good after after 24 years. I waxed it with three coats fall and spring . I cleaned the frame everytime it was washed and kept in a garage. I can pound the frame with a hammer and it still rings solid. With my new off road I'm doing the same but every other year coating the frame inside and out with Liquid Filim. For trucks with rust remove as much as possible and apply a heavy coat of Liquid Film. It doesn't remove rust but it stops the rusting process. Don't forget you have to apply inside the frame to protect

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

I'm in nw connecticut also and didn't expect toyota to do anything about rusting issues their chassis appear to have. I treated my 2020 tacoma chassis as soon as i got the truck with a good dose of cosmoline same as what mercedes, and bmw do at their plants. This stuff is military grade not needing to be reapplied every year like fluid film, or wool wax I had a 2001 tundra that i sprayed down with fluid film every fall but it became a pita. It does work but you need to be religious reapplying it as it wash's away every time the roads get very wet.

Back