2wd front wheel play, 2003 taco

paulmars

repacked front bearings 6k miles ago (june 2018). Now I feel notable play top to bottom, but every little front to back. Should i re tighten them?

2003 2wd 2.4L 5sp, 78k miles(not a typo)

central florida

when I said top to bottom in my 1st post i didnt mean up and down I meant in and out, just side side to side is in and out.
well i needed a wrench to break it loose. it wasn't that tight but my fingers on greasy nut couldn't loosen it.
Look:
and
and should it make this noise? press as hard as I can it goes from 5/8 to 1 full revolution, here:
that noise dont sound right

Fixed.

My right bearing nut was loose. Maybe the left was too.

Remember 4 February 2021 both wheels no wiggle left to right, but slight wiggle top to bottom. Right side slightly more.

Repacked all four bearings 5k mi ago. No wiggle after 500 and 1k miles, but now top to bottom wiggle.

So, a few days ago I removed the wheels and then could not right left or top bottom wiggle. Reinstall wheels and the added leverage allowed me to top bottom wiggle. However, the wheel weight was stopping right left wiggle (I think Id have to lift the wheel slightly to right left wiggle). On right side w\o wheel I could pull push the hub-rotar and feel, hear, and see it move in and out. Still, i could not right left or top bottom wiggle it (not enough leverage?). I reinstalled wheel and that extra weight prevented pull-push movement.
Cleaned and inspected all bearings, races, and spindles. All were fine. The right spindle had some black marks, but felt smooth. Lucky me.

I did notice something with my upper ball joint(s), but that is unrelated, so I started another thread for it. See "Ball joint issue?"

Back