4.7 swap?

Has anybody tried to swap a 4.7 from a tundra into their Tacoma? I heard there's a kit (IDK who makes it) but I am interested to know if anyone had tried it and if they did, if they liked it or not?

Also would I be able to use my 5spd with it or would I need a new transmission? (I want to keep it manual)

Has anybody tried to swap a 4.7 from a tundra into their Tacoma? I heard there's a kit (IDK who makes it) but I am interested to know if anyone had tried it and if they did, if they liked it or not?

Also would I be able to use my 5spd with it or would I need a new transmission? (I want to keep it manual)

Why the swap? Thats a big engine for a small truck....

I'm sure it has been done but I have never seen anyone do it and I doubt there is a kit. I'm pretty sure your tranny won't hold up to the torque of the V8.

Anything can be done with enough money and time.

I know that Toyota put a 5.7l in an X-Runner and made it "RTR" (ready to race) for the SEMA show back in 2010. ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1398390777.716477.jpg
Like Whip said, anything is possible with the time and money....it might be possible to fit the 4.7l in your truck with a few upgrades to the suspension, axle, transmission etc, but then you'd have to get a new computer to go with the bigger engine and so on

I know that Toyota put a 5.7l in an X-Runner and made it "RTR" (ready to race) for the SEMA show back in 2010. View attachment 2622
Like Whip said, anything is possible with the time and money....it might be possible to fit the 4.7l in your truck with a few upgrades to the suspension, axle, transmission etc, but then you'd have to get a new computer to go with the bigger engine and so on

That truck looks SWEET...

There are no turbo kits so you have to do a custom kit. The TRD supercharger is out there. The turbo will cost you quite a bit more than the blower.

If you have the money turbo will always be better. You will make more power on the same amount of boost. Because superchargers cause drag on your engine. I know sts makes a kit for 2nd gens. Not sure about first

The good thing about superchargers is that they are pretty much bolt on and go. Sometimes with turbos that isn't the case

I'm not a big fan of the superchargers sound when you throttle it out, I'm in love with that whistle from the turbo spooling...so if I had the time and money I would add a turbo

I'm gonna have to save up money either way, the STS kit is $4500 (base+ the gauges to monitor boost and air/fuel, etc)

How much of a difference in power?

Well, it all depends on how much boost you run. But on the same amount of boost you will get more real power from a turbo. Because a supercharger takes alittle hp to turn it. So I puts drag on the motor. A turbo is spun by un used exhaust gasses

I'm gonna have to save up money either way, the STS kit is $4500 (base+ the gauges to monitor boost and air/fuel, etc)

How much of a difference in power?
Do your research on that STS kit and read reviews. I have a very reputable shop on my Facebook page that I follow. They flat out publicly announced to never do business with them again, citing reasons of problems with fitment, incomplete parts, and ****ty customer service when it came to getting the issues resolved. If I'm paying $4500 for a turbo kit, or anything for that matter, it'd damn well better come with what I need and if there's an issue, I would expect the company to be eager to make it right. They never called the guys back with a response to the issue for like 3 weeks.

Back