4 wheel disc brakes

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by Bobb, Nov 13, 2017 at 10:00 AM.

1. Bobb

Bobb Member

Everybody knows disc brakes are superior to drums. They even put 4 wheel discs on the Prius, why wouldn’t they put them on the Tacoma? What possible reason could there be? I can think of good reasons to start putting them on the Tacoma!

tx_taco_guy likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

The rear drums work just fine though and most of your braking is done by the front. Toyota has never given a real answer to the question but in the end I’m sure it’s cost.

Bogunn likes this.
  4. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they had this debate on TW (in fact I know they did ) & IIRC it ended with 2 bans, a locked thread & a lot of butt hurt lol...

5. whippersnapper02

That’s hilarious to me because those that got butthurt don’t even work on their own vehicles but they say drums are hard to work on.

Lynks55 and 4wd like this.
  6. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Haha, no shit huh

whippersnapper02 likes this.
  7. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Granted, disc are alot easier to work on & adjusting the rears can be a pain in the ass but since roughly 80-85% of stopping power is from the front seems a non issue & just comes down to preference

8. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Now where the hell is my 4 wheel disc'd diesel tacoma ?? haha

OR17TRD, Bogunn and whippersnapper02 like this.
  9. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Once you’ve done a drum or two they aren’t that bad to work on. They last a long time so it’s not like your doing it every few months. I would have loved to be eating fritters and watching that thread.

Bogunn, 4wd and whippersnapper02 like this.
  10. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Yeah it's just remembering which way to spin the adjuster, I finally learned to scratch a little direction arrow on the backing plate so I'd know next time ...

Bogunn and OR17TRD like this.
  11. OR17TRD

The little hacks of life.

4wd likes this.
  12. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I don’t have nothing against drum brakes. They’re tried and true. They don’t require changing near as much.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 6:10 PM
    BIRDSLAYER and 4wd like this.
  13. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Yep some of those threads were pretty entertaining to watch...

14. OR17TRD

I’ve read some but I’m not a member so I wasn’t watching them unfold. I still got some good laughs. Even reading some of the old threads here I laugh. Some people get so :mad: over oil, filters, lifts and tires.

15. 13SCOR

13SCOR New Member

YouTube has a video where one of the reps answers that question - something about drums are better at keeping the water and mud off.

Bogunn likes this.
  16. whippersnapper02

Then we would all have issue with the fronts not working.

17. OR17TRD

o_O

whippersnapper02 likes this.
  18. 13SCOR

13SCOR New Member

Here is link. About 4 minutes in he answers question:

19. OR17TRD

All I hear is excuses.:D

20. 858_tacoma_guy

858_tacoma_guy Well-Known Member

Think whippersnapper is right. Sounds like a money things for Toyota. But my truck has over 200k miles and I've never touched the rear drums. My truck stops just fine. In a way I prefer drums, just because they last so long lol.

21. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

All this debate on which is better makes me want to start a thread on under torqued U bolts...