4 wheel disc brakes

Bobb

Everybody knows disc brakes are superior to drums. They even put 4 wheel discs on the Prius, why wouldn’t they put them on the Tacoma? What possible reason could there be? I can think of good reasons to start putting them on the Tacoma!

The rear drums work just fine though and most of your braking is done by the front. Toyota has never given a real answer to the question but in the end I’m sure it’s cost.

Everybody knows disc brakes are superior to drums. They even put 4 wheel discs on the Prius, why wouldn’t they put them on the Tacoma? What possible reason could there be? I can think of good reasons to start putting them on the Tacoma!

Pretty sure they had this debate on TW (in fact I know they did ) & IIRC it ended with 2 bans, a locked thread & a lot of butt hurt lol...

Granted, disc are alot easier to work on & adjusting the rears can be a pain in the ass but since roughly 80-85% of stopping power is from the front seems a non issue & just comes down to preference

Once you’ve done a drum or two they aren’t that bad to work on. They last a long time so it’s not like your doing it every few months. I would have loved to be eating fritters and watching that thread.
Pretty sure they had this debate on TW (in fact I know they did ) & IIRC it ended with 2 bans, a locked thread & a lot of butt hurt lol...
That’s hilarious to me because those that got butthurt don’t even work on their own vehicles but they say drums are hard to work on.

Yeah it's just remembering which way to spin the adjuster, I finally learned to scratch a little direction arrow on the backing plate so I'd know next time ...

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I don’t have nothing against drum brakes. They’re tried and true. They don’t require changing near as much.

Last edited:
Once you’ve done a drum or two they aren’t that bad to work on. They last a long time so it’s not like your doing it every few months. I would have loved to be eating fritters and watching that thread.

Yep some of those threads were pretty entertaining to watch...

Yep some of those threads were pretty entertaining to watch...
I’ve read some but I’m not a member so I wasn’t watching them unfold. I still got some good laughs. Even reading some of the old threads here I laugh. Some people get so :mad: over oil, filters, lifts and tires.

YouTube has a video where one of the reps answers that question - something about drums are better at keeping the water and mud off.

Think whippersnapper is right. Sounds like a money things for Toyota. But my truck has over 200k miles and I've never touched the rear drums. My truck stops just fine. In a way I prefer drums, just because they last so long lol.

Back