4 wheel drive issue..

Ive owned my 2014 Tacoma for less than a year now and just used the 4wheel drive today. It goes forward ok but it seems to not fully lock in reverse....it will roll in reverse but when you give it gas it sounds like gears slipping. Any thoughts ??

Ive owned my 2014 Tacoma for less than a year now and just used the 4wheel drive today. It goes forward ok but it seems to not fully lock in reverse....it will roll in reverse but when you give it gas it sounds like gears slipping. Any thoughts ??
Is the 4wd light flashing when you hear the noise? The noise comes from the front? Could be a cv issue, hopefully not a ring and pinion issue.
Could try to get it on video, make a YouTube link and post it here...
Oh, hi!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I sure do appreciate the information. It was a 1 owner vehicle when I bout it and the more I mess with it the better it gets. The grinding gear noise was definitely coming from the transfer case. I dont think it is engaging all the way, but it seems to be getting better the more I use it. I dont think the 4wheel drive was used very often by the previous owner. Thanks again.

Sounds like everything needed to get lubed up. You should try to use it for at least 10 miles a month to keep the front diff and the transfer case working properly. The more you use it the quicker and easier it should engage.

Only time my 4wd led flashes continuously for a long period or doesn't engage is when the vehicle is started the first thing on a vey cold morning, and you try to activate 4wd, like temps in the teens. Otherwise when warmed up to temp, it will engage immediately. I assume this is likely normal.

OR17TRD knows his stuff!

4517abced8f2e133f0392422849ce7ad.jpg

I just showed this to the wife last night explaining that a monthly adventure was required to protect our investment. [emoji41]

~ Nick

By your description it sure sounds like a mechanical failing/failure to me. "it will roll in reverse but when you give it gas it sounds like gears slipping"
I engage four-wheel-drive at least two times a week and everything works so smoothly so by what OR17TRD is saying seems true.

Back