6 cyl alternator mount bushing stuck

Riptide

Hey folks, doing an alternator replacement on my 99 Tacoma 6 cyl and I'm stuck at removing the bushing that seems to be wedged inside the alternator. I've looked at what guides I could find on the net and none mention how to get this out. The only thing I can think of is a slide hammer, but even with that there wouldn't be enough room. Picture is below. Anyone here replaced one in these trucks and encountered this bushing?

dm64v5.jpg

Hey folks, doing an alternator replacement on my 99 Tacoma 6 cyl and I'm stuck at removing the bushing that seems to be wedged inside the alternator. I've looked at what guides I could find on the net and none mention how to get this out. The only thing I can think of is a slide hammer, but even with that there wouldn't be enough room. Picture is below. Anyone here replaced one in these trucks and encountered this bushing?

dm64v5.jpg

Are you sure it goes all the way through? I did mine when I had my 97 and I never had to remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Taco Forum mobile app

Are you sure it goes all the way through? I did mine when I had my 97 and I never had to remove it.

Yeah, I hit it with a mallet for a few minutes. It freely pivots on that bushing. Also, you can see through the tiny crevice that it goes through and into the alternator at least a little bit. Ugh. Might be aftermarket.

Yeah, I hit it with a mallet for a few minutes. It freely pivots on that bushing. Also, you can see through the tiny crevice that it goes through and into the alternator at least a little bit. Ugh. Might be aftermarket.

Dang. That stinks. Maybe check a junk yard or pick a part and maybe see if you can get a new bracket. I think all I had was a long bolt going all the way through. Good luck.

Back