6" lift with 35's rubbing?

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by Cwarner272, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Cwarner272

Cwarner272 Well-Known Member

I have 6" rough country suspension lift with 16x8.5 rims 4.5 backspace, and am getting 315x75r16 toyo mud tires next week, and I'm wondering if I'll have to do any cutting of fenders/body mount part of the frame?

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    Cwarner272

Anyone?

4. jztacoma

jztacoma Well-Known Member

I don't know first hand trying to squeeze 35s on a 2nd gen tacoma. But probably have to ditch the front mudflaps and might have to do a cab body mount chop

5. jztacoma

Says on line 35x12.5x17 with a 4-5/8 rim backspace should work

6. OP
    Cwarner272

Thanks. Yeah everything says they should fit. Got a slight rub right now with 33's but I also have 1.25" wheel spacers. Thinks may have to ditch them. They'll fit if I chop the cab mount, but I would prefer not to if I don't have to

7. jztacoma

No problem. Yeah id ditch the mudflaps if you haven't already, try it without he spacers see if that helps. What sucks is just how small the fender wells are on the tacomas

8. OP
    Cwarner272

Got my tires on. Had some serious rubbing, but decided I liked how it looked with the wheel spacers, so I started cutting away. Cab mount chop, and some serious trimming of rear part of fender, but I'm good now. Here's some pictures

Attached Files:

9. jztacoma

Yeah I'm liking that look to. Good luck with it! Not to sure if you might need to look at re gearing it with the 35s

10. OP
    Cwarner272

Yeah definitely gonna have to regear, but it's all good gotta pay to play ;-)

11. jztacoma

Hahaha yeah I def know that feeling

12. matt0824

matt0824 New Member

I have a 6" RC and ordered 35's. The 6" application called for max tire 35's. How is it you had to modify so much? Was it the 1.25" spacers?

13. OP
    Cwarner272

Yeah, I think the wheel spacers threw everything off. Didn't try it without them. Was gonna try, but was having a hard time getting them off,and I said **** it, I like how it looks with them lol. Here's a picture

Attached Files:

14. Taco-Maker TMMTX

Taco-Maker TMMTX Well-Known Member

Holy crap. That does look nice. Is that safe to cut the body mounts that much? What did you use to cut them? Sawzall?

15. OP
    Cwarner272

Thanks. From what I've read, a lot of people have chopped their mounts, seems to be ok lol. I used an angle grinder, with 4" cutting wheels

16. Taco-Maker TMMTX

Was it pretty easy? Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Taco Forum mobile app

17. OP
    Cwarner272

Haha 1 year to the day response lol. It was fairly easy just jack up truck, take off wheels, and start cutting

18. Taco-Maker TMMTX

I've cut and cut and cut. Still get rubbing in a left turn and hitting a bump. On the right too but not as easy as it is to the left.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Taco Forum mobile app

19. OP
    Cwarner272

Yeah I get rubbing going left through a dip or bump at full crank

20. g_chandler85

g_chandler85 Well-Known Member

I've got a pro comp 6" with 35x12.5 and I have had no rubbing at all but I want to add spacers. Would I have to go down in tire size and do you know the biggest I could run without rubbing?

BrandiG likes this.
  21. OP
    Cwarner272

I'm not sure